Album of the week

For this week's Album of the Week, I decided to go with Allison Moorer's new album Blood which is a companion piece with her memoir of the same title. Allison has always been one of my favorite singer/songwriters since The Hardest Part. Unfortunately I have neglected her music over the years because of my ever so changing tastes in music. It was until earlier this month when I heard about her new album and book (which I plan on reading after I finish with the latest novel in the Millennium series). Her book/memoir covers the tragic story of her father killing her (and sister Shelby Lynne's) mother and then killing himself, and Allison coming to terms with the tragedy and her feelings about her father. Despite not having read Allison's memoir (yet),it is pretty obvious personal she gets in her lyrics. I am glad she has included the track "Cold Cold Earth" which is a hidden track on The Hardest Part which is about what transpired between her father and mother., it is a deeply poignant song and one of my personal favorite songs of all time.  The entire album is fantastic. There is a good a mix of blues, country, and folk, pop music this is not.

Comments

Popular Posts