My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! I had a short work week. I took two days off for a medical appointment and to sleep in from the Clan of Xymox show (didn't get home until 1am).

This week's playlist is a good mix of new and older songs. I am still digging the albums I bought last week by FKA Twigs, Dessa, and The Dark Element. I have no doubt they will be on my end of the year list. Same with Bat for Lashes' Lost Girls, an album I bought last month.

Speaking FKA Twigs, City Pages really should be embarrassed for this review of her new album What's up with FKA Twigs' voice on Magdalene?. I am guessing this clown is 15-16 years old and is not familiar with music that isn't Taylor Swift or Cardi B. It is horrible writing, very incoherent. Just had to get that off my chest. Glad he got roasted for that shit review on CP's website.

I almost forgot until today that country singer/songwriter Allison Moorer had a new album out to accompany her book of the same name (Blood). For anyone who doesn't know Allison's story (BTW...her sister is Shelby Lynne), her father killed her and Shelby's mother and then himself when the girls were teenagers. Her book explores the domestic abuse that went on in her family and her trying to reconcile with the painful memories of the murder-suicide of her parents and coming to terms with her father's actions. Her new album is an accompaniment to her book. The album is great. Allison is one of my favorite singer/songwriters in country music and IMO so underrated (along with her sister). I am really glad she includes "Cold Cold Earth" which originally was a hidden track on her album The Hardest Parts on the new album. My favorite track off Blood right now is "The Ties That Bind".

Believe it or not I like the new Lady Antebellum album Ocean although there were 2-3 tracks that was meh to me and I had to skip them. Their song "Crazy Love" is my current favorite song off the album.

Another new release I am digging is Zerfall by Box and The Twins. Great postpunk/darkwave. I so recommend giving that album a listen. My current favorite song off the album "Frozen in Time" is on this week's playlist.

Songs to check out:
"The Ties That Bind: by Allison Moorer
"Sad Day" by FKA Twigs
"Frozen in Time" by Box and The Twins
"Velodrome - Live" by Dessa/Minnesota Orchestra
"Peach Sky" by Bat For Lashes
"Not Your Monster" by The Dark Element

Comments

Popular Posts