Absolute Grrrls Manifesto disc 4

Well here it is...my final review for the Absolute Grrrls Manifesto (for disc 4). In general the compilation was worth every penny that I spent on it. I think of the four discs. Disc four is the weakest. I wasn't feeling the majority of the gothic metal tracks as well as the more electronic based tracks. I only liked the Xandria track "Valentine" and Leave's Eyes' "To France".


I really dug the vocals on "Valentine" by Manuela Kraller. Very Nightwish-ish (when Tarja was still in the band).

For me Leave's Eyes really can't disappoint me. "To France" is classic Leave's Eyes.


I just love Liv Kristine's delicate vocals set to the heavy guitar riffs.

Like disc 2, the music slowly shifts from gothic metal to goth, industrial and synthpop. I liked a lot of the tracks but there were just a few that just irritated me with their repetitive beats and vocals.

One of my favorite tracks on the album is the gorgeous "Shadows Fade" by the darkwave band Chandeen.

The lush melodies of "Shadows Fade" is a lovely contrast to the heavier tracks on the disc. I find Julia Beyer's vocals very soothing to listen to and they match well with the music.

Another excellent track and one that really stood out with me was "Stella Splendens" by Arcana Obscura.

I really enjoyed the fusion of traditional medieval music with modern dance music. I am reminded a bit of Mediaeval Baebes but with a modern twist in the music.

My absolute favorite track on the entire disc is the club track "Der Schwere Abend (Psy'Aviah mix) by Schwarzblut.

Absolutely LOVE the female vocals from Angelika.  I am a sucker for female vocals in the electro scene and this track (although it is just a sample) reminds me why I dig female fronted songs.

While Absolute Grrrls Manifesto was anything but flawless, I had an immense joy of listening to all four discs. The compilationn introduced me to some really killer new (to me) bands.  Did it cover all of my favorite bands fronted by women? No but since this is just chapter one, I think Alfa Matrix will find a way to include my personal faves eventually. I think this is a compilation worth checking out. It is a great way to discover new artists.

Comments

Popular Posts