My 100 most influential albums

For the past week I have been working on my latest list which is a 100 albums that has influenced me from my youth all the way to my adulthood. I have to admit it was quite a monumental task for me. I really had to dig deep into my soul to create this list. Each of the albums listed has helped shape my musical tastes that I have today, even if the music is cheesy and silly. Still I cannot deny that even the cheesiest albums from my youth its influence so I included them on my list. Fortunately this does NOT include that godawful Captain and Tennille album my aunt and uncle gave me for my birthday as a child. Since they were/are devout Catholics, they clearly didn't want to give me music that was popular for people my age at the time.

100. Michael Jackson - Thriller
99. Sesame Street Original Cast Record
98. Culture Club - Colour By Numbers
97. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
96. Enya - s/t
95. George Winston - December
94. Vixen - s/t
93. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
92. Royksopp - The Understanding
91. Heart - Brigade
90. Paul Oakenfold - Tranceport
89. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
88. Craig Armstrong - As If to Nothing
87. Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
86. Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise vol.3
85. The Gits - Frenching the Bully
84. Ladytron - Velocifero
83. 7 Year Bitch - Sick 'Em
82. ABBA - Gold
81. Babes in Toyland - Fontanelle
80. Leftfield - Leftism
79. Daft Punk - Homework
78. Ani Difranco - Dilate
77. Travis - The Man Who
76. Ayria - Flicker
75. Covenant - United States of Mind
74. The Birthday Massacre
73. Bikini Kill - Reject All American
72. Robert Miles - Dreamland
71. Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery
70. Chicane - Behind the Sun
69. Mediaeval Baebes -Undrentide
68. Garbage - Version 2.0
67. Orbital - In-Sides
66. Paul Van Dyk - Out There and Back
65. Puffy Amiyumi - The Very Best of Puffy
64. Hanzel und Gretyl - Uber Alles
63. Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
62. Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel
61. Bjork - Homogenic
60. The Muffs -Blonder and Blonder
59. Portishead - Dummy
58. This is Neo-Goth compilation
57. Pet Shop Boys - Very
56. Til Tuesday - Everything's Different Now
55. October Project - s/t
54. Mary Chapin Carpenter - Stones in the Road
53. Moby - Play
52. Voltaire - Almost Human
51. Toni Childs - House of Hope
50. Blutengel - The Oxidising Angel
49. Icon of Coil - Serenity is the Devil
48. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
47. Run Lola Run soundtrack
46. Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session
45. Sarah Brightman - La Luna
44. The Crystal Method - Vegas
43. William Orbit - Pieces In a Modern Style
42. Trainspotting soundtrack
41. 10,000 Maniacs - Our Time in Eden
40. Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
39. Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
38. Cylab - Satellites
37. Front Line Assembly
36. This Mortal Coil - Blood
35. Saint Etienne - Tiger Bay
34. Belly - Star
33. Nightwish - Wishmaster
32. Texas - Mothers Heaven
31. Let the Right One In soundtrack
30. Hooverphonic - Blue Wonder Power Milk
29. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands
28. Nine Inch Nails - Broken
27. Sarah Mclachlan - Solace
26. Cat Stevens - Greatest Hits
25. Lush - Love Life
24. Clan of Xymox - Creatures
23. Madonna - Ray of Light
22. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
21. Erasure - The Innocents
20. Conjure One - s/t
19. Curve - Cuckoo
18. The Bangles - Everything
17. BT - ESCM
16. Faithless - Sunday 8pm
15. Unter Null - The Failure Epiphany
14. Buddha Bar IV
13. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
12. Cocteau Twins - Treasure
11. The Sisters of Mercy
10. Social Distortion - s/t
09. L7 - Bricks are Heavy
08. Loreena McKennitt -The Mask and the Mirror
07. Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting
06. VNV Nation - Futureperfect
05. Ministry - Psalm 69
04. Siouxsie and The Banshees - Twice Upon a Time: The Singles
03. KMFDM - Nihil
02. Delerium - Karma
01. Apoptygma Berzerk - Welcome to Earth

As you can see, my taste in music runs a gamut and I am proud of that fact. The top 10 most influential albums for me were the albums that really altered my musical tastes forever. Apoptygma Berzerk was my introduction to EBM/futurepop which is the reason it is at the #1 spot on my list. Although Psalm 69 by Ministry was my first taste of industrial music, it wasn't until Nihil by KMFDM that got me exploring the industrial genre more seriously.

Comments

Popular Posts