My Current Favorite Songs

I think it is pretty obvious that my latest collection of my current favorite songs is an eclectic mix. I have a little of everything from country to synthpop. When I was heading home from Chicago on Monday, I listened to a lot my Random Mix (which used to be called Work/Commute Playlist). A lot of the songs on that playlist influenced this week's mix.

Muna's "I Know A Place" is easily one of the best songs I have heard this year (next to "Return" by NamNamBulu and "Forsaken Love" by Xandria). It is definitely the best pop song I have heard this year as well as in a long time. I really do regret not going to the group's show at the Turf Club back in February. Another time I guess.

I have really come to appreciate the latest CHROM album Peak and Decay. I really wish I could have fit it on my best of 2016 list. The band continues to push the futurepop boundaries with every release they put out. This band really can do no wrong with me.

If you haven't heard of Tamaryn, you should know about her now. I saw her last fall as Lush's opening on their brief reunion tour. Her album Cranekiss is excellent.

I threw in some oldies but goodies like Heart's "Who Will You Run to?" and Siouxsie and The Banshees' version of "This Wheel's On Fire". I love Heart's music during the '80s. I particularly love turning up the volume for "Who Will You Run to". That song is by far my favorite Heart song in general. Heart was also the first band I saw live. They were touring with Cheap Trick.

If you ever need a good earworm to drive out a terrible earworm out of your head, go listen to "Close Your Eyes" by Daybehavior. That is easily one of the catchiest songs ever.

To change things up a bit, I threw in my favorite songs by Rosanne Cash, Delta Rae, and Brandi Carlile. I don't always listen to goth and industrial music ;).

The Wheel is my favorite Rosanne Cash album. Album came out in 1993. I think I was in my freshman year of college. I wish I could really remember what compelled me to buy the album but I think I had heard a couple of songs on Cities 97 (before the station when to hell in a hand basket courtesy of Clear Channel) and fell in love with what I had heard. The title track is my favorite song off the album. I just love the combination of Rosanne's vocals and her lyrics.

I think it was last year when I borrowed The Story by Brandi Carlile from my local library. Long story short, I ended up buying my own copy at The Electric Fetus a few weeks later. I absolutely love the title track.

Comments

Popular Posts