Album of the week

I definitely did not have a difficult time deciding which album was going to be this week's album of the week. I have been listening constantly the Nahko album I picked up at the Electric Fetus over the weekend. My Name is Bear is the solo debut for the leader of the world music collective group Medicine for the People which has put out three albums (so far).

Since Spotify entered my life a few years ago, I hardly make sudden purchases on music I hadn't heard before but my curiosity got the best of me when I saw My Name is Bear in the new releases section at the Electric Fetus and read Nahko's bio on my phone. The last time I bought an album without listening was the new Raveonettes album and I did not care for it at all.

The very second I put My Name is Bear into my CD player, it was love at first listen. I am really big on spiritual albums but I dug Nahko Bear's solo album. I think part of the reason I am so drawn to the album is because 2017 has been a very difficult year for me with all the trauma and death that has enveloped me. I have been either very angry due to the traumatic events that I experienced this past summer or grieving over the death of my father.  I have found great comfort in Nahko Bear's solo album. To me it is like putting on my favorite pajamas.

When I got into work today, I listened to all three of Nahko and Medicine for the People albums. They are wonderful. I couldn't help but make a comparison to that shitty jam rock band the Dave Matthews Band except Nahko and Medicine for the People's music does not suck. On My Name is Bear, the Dave Matthews comparison isn't really there except for on the upbeat, soulful with a hint of funk track "Early February". I like how eclectic the album's music. I can certainly hear Nahko Bear's multi-cultural background (Apache, Puerto Rican, and Fillipino) seep into his music with a dash of Americana for good measure. I will say this, I found the interludes not really interesting and distracting from the whole listening experience. Perhaps Nahko should consider putting out a spoken word album. I think he has a lot of interesting things to say especially what he has written for Medicine for the People. Overall My Name is Bear is a wonderful album. Nahko has made me a fan of his solo work and his work with Medicine for the People.

Comments

Popular Posts