My current favorite songs of the week

This week has not been a fun week for me, in fact it was a total shit show (like the last several months has been for me) but the one bright moment for me was that my favorite band Autumn dropped their new single "The Fall" on Halloween. I have been listening to the song every day and as much as possible through out the day (at home and at work). I was so not disappointed. There are two versions of "The Fall" on this single, along with one other original track "Before and After". The second is a remix by William Faith of The Bellwether Syndicate (a gnarly shoegaze band from Chicago). Both versions of "The Fall". Trying to pick a favorite between the two is next to impossible. I will say that I really love hearing Autumn in a total new way with the Broken RmX by William Faith. Who would have thought that Autumn would sound great as an EBM act? It is just an amazing remix. William really took great care at making sure Julie Plante's voice didn't get lost in the music. Kudos to William Faith for his contributions. As for the other song "Before and After", I am just loving it as much as "The Fall".

It has been practically a decade since the release of the band's second album Return to the Breath. I didn't discover the band not long after their split (my excuse? I spent a part of the 1990s living in another state and oblivious to the local music scene in my home state. LOL). I am thrilled to hear new music from the band and can hardly wait for their third album to drop in the new year.

As for my Spotify playlist, I have a good mix of new and older songs. If you haven't heard the new Kirlian Camera single "Sky Collapse", go check it out. It is fantastic. I have a b-side from the single called "Moonlight Sonata for Holograms - Alternative Version" on this week's playlist. It is a really great track. I will let the song speak for itself.

Last week I went to see (if for a brief moment) KMFDM. I ended up with their song "Freak Flag" stuck in my head for the next several days. That song is definitely one of the few tracks I like off Hell Yeah! (the rest I found to be tepid). It is a very catchy song but not nearly as catchy as Lily Allen's "Fuck You". As I have mentioned at the top of tonight's blog entry, I had a shitty week at work. I just had to add "Fuck You" because it is one of the few things that kept me from pulling out all of my hair.

Just learned this week Tarja has a new Christmas album coming out later this month. I love her version of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". Her version of this timeless Christmas carol is stunning. I certainly plan on buying her new album this month.

This week I have been listening to the new Butcher Babies album Lilith. It is a pretty good album, I am particularly fond of their song "Burn the Straw Man".

Earlier this week I started listening to SPC ECO's Dark Matter album that I bought a couple of years ago. It is so good. I have neglected the album for too long. SPC ECO features ex-Curve guitarist Dean Garcia. I have included on my playlist "Under My Skin", my favorite song off the album. I so recommend checking out SPC ECO especially since Toni Halliday has left the music industry so unfortunately no Curve reunion :(. SPC ECO is worthy project from Dean that is just as good as his former band and should be heard.

Of course I got some old faves like "But Not Tonight" by Depeche Mode, "Dreaming" by OMD, "Beautiful Tragedy" by In This Moment", and the gorgeous "I Held the Mone" by Stoa. Come to think of it, I think I have more current music than older songs :P.


Comments

Popular Posts