Some musical recommendations

Today after work a friend of mine emailed me about Ashbury Heights (he really dug their most recent album) and asked which AH album he should check out next, I told him Three Cheers for the Newlydead (their first album which I bought when it first came out). This got me thinking I should post some albums that I think are worth listening to for anyone looking for new music to add to their collection or to stream. Not all of the albums/EPs I have mentioned here will be new releases. I think there are some older albums that I absolutely adore and think they should be heard.

I actually had some local music to recommend. After all this blog isn't called the Twin Cities Underground for nothing ;). Although Autumn (US band) and Astronomique each have new singles out, I think the best place to start is with my favorite releases from the bands The Hating Tree and Burning Stars Fade EP.  Their new singles "The Fall" and "Mimic Form" are great no doubt about that but the music on The Hating Tree and Burning Stars Fade just has that special something that makes me want to listen to them every damn day. After not listening to The Hating Tree all summer (because I have been obsessed with the new NamNamBulu and Felix Marc albums), I am now back listening to what I consider one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time and cranking it up on my portable stereo in my condo. The music sounds so good at a fairly loud volume and while I am doing some housecleaning or trolling social media. I own a physical copy of the album and I don't say this about any CD I own that goes back 20 years but the production value of it is so stellar and timeless. The music does not dated at all.

As of now I am listening to the new Finesse release Unbroken Memory. If you love '80s music, you will love this local new wave/post punk band. The duo will be opening for Book of Love on 12/2 at 7th St Entry. I am super psyched about going to that show. The music on Unbroken Memory is so good. I hope to pick up a copy at the show a week from this Saturday.

Of course I had to include Three Cheers for the Newlydead on this list. This is my favorite synthpop in the '00s, if not my very favorite Ashbury Heights album. I think I discovered them on Myspace when I still was using that website and fell in love with their music right away. AH has gone through a few line up changes, their music is consistently good.

One of the few new albums I have included on this list is the debut album by the Singapore band Cosmic Armchair.  I have been a fan for 3-4 years (maybe even longer). I found them via youtube and have been waiting for their debut album to be released which happened last week. The wait was absolutely worth it. There is a good mix of '90s electronic music, synthpop and trance with solid hooks and beats.

As for the rest of the albums, please do check them out as well. They are just as good as the albums I have discussed here. I am super excited that The Bellwether Syndicate is currently working on new music. They are one of my favorite bands in the past few years along with SPC ECO.

Local music:










National:

















Comments

Popular Posts