Albums and playlists I am currently listening to

This was was a short work week for me so I really didn't listen to a lot of music especially my playlists. I also listened to a lot of my new favorite true crime podcast Crime in Color which is about crimes involving people of color (as victims) which I don't hear on a lot of true crime podcasts. I have been binging on Crime in Color at work quite a bit.

Today after my excursion to Ramen Kazama in south Minneapolis for lunch, I stopped over to the Electric Fetus just to see if anything was worth opening my wallet for.  It didn't take me very long when I came across the album My Name is Bear by Nahko (https://nahko.com/) I went on my phone to do a little research and decided to buy the whim. I am very glad I bought his music. I have already listened to My Name is Bear twice. It is a beautiful album. Sure the music isn't what I usually listen to but it is a good thing to expose oneself to new music. I wish I discovered Nahko sooner otherwise I would have gone to this past show in October at The Cabooze. From what I have gathered, My Name is Bear is Nahko's solo album (a beautiful stripped down, acoustic album), and his band is called Nahko and Medicine for the People. I hope to check out his band's albums sometime this weekend. I have posted a link to the Nahko's website already for curious readers at the beginning of this paragraph.

All this week I have been listening to Autumn's Return to the Breath and Blume's Rise From Grey, two very neglected albums in my music collection.

 Hearing the new Blume single earlier this fall has made me to start listening to their music again. My friend Trace from Kilted Farmer introduced me to Blume many, many, many moons ago.They are one of my personal favorite synthpop bands in the past decade. Their new single "Blackening" is such a huge departure from the band's first albums but it has grown on me quite considerably. The song reminds me of Assemblage 23 and Ruined Conflict. Rise From Grey is one of those albums that just goes by so quickly and you wish it didn't end so fast. There is not one song on the album that I have to skip. I hope I don't have to wait too long for another album from Blume.

I listen to The Hating Tree so damn much I keep forgetting about Autumn's second album Return to the Breath. Return to the Breath was the first Autumn album I bought, shortly after their brief return to the stage for the Faith and the Muse show in 2009. Pretty obvious I was converted as a fan especially after the song "Red". In the early years after discovering the band (which at the time was disbanded) I had mixed feelings about the album because the last four tracks on the album really do much for me at the time. As time as gone on and I have listened to the band's two albums, I have really come to appreciate Return to the Breath as a whole. It is a beautiful album. Julie Plante could sing the phone book for all I care and I would still be enchanted by her vocals. I really have become a fan of guitarist Neil McKay's work. Definitely can hear a lot of shoegaze influences in his guitar riffs. Bassist Jeff Leyda does an excellent job at providing the backbone to the band's music (his musicianship really shows on The Hating Tree).

While on the subject of darkwave, I have been listening a lot to Artesia via Spotify. Their music is absolutely stunning. Very Black Tape For a Blue Girl mixed in with some classical music. I think  in the past three days I have listened to the band's all four albums. The music is very mellow and soothing to listen to. Absolutely love the ethereal vocals. Go check out their music.

Been listening a lot to some symphonic metal namely Amberian Dawn and Sleeping Romance. At the risk of repeating myself from last night's blog entry, initially Sleeping Romance came off to me as your generic symphonic metal band ala Within Temptation but the more I have listened to Alba, the more I have started to enjoy the band's music. As for Amberian Dawn, I don't know why I never listened to their music before but I am glad I have started now since Xandria has become a bloody joke after they treated now former vocalist Dianne. I haven't listened to Innuendo in its entirety (so far I like what I have heard) but  I have with Darkness of Eternity and I think it is a very good album.

If you haven't heard the new albums by SPC ECO, Empathy Test, Cosmic Armchair, and Tarja, I so recommend checking them out. It took me a few listens for Calm by SPC ECO to grow on me . If you love Curve, I definitely recommend checking out Dean Garcia's project SPC ECO. I can definitely hear Curve in the music. Of the two new Empathy Test albums that was recently released, I definitely can recommend Losing Touch. That is my personal favorite. The songs resonated with me more than Safe From Harm. If any of my readers like synthpop bands like OMD and Erasure, I can recommend Empathy Test. I really can't remember how exactly I discovered Empathy Test but I am sure social media had something to do with it. Go check them out!





















Playlists:




Comments

Popular Posts