My current favorite songs of the week

This week is going to be one of those rare moments when I have a playlist that consists of mostly new music. Of course I have included a few old faves like Autumn's "Red", Blume's "Fallen Horizon", Astronomique's "Burning Stars Fade", "Aerial" by Artesia, and "Extrasolar Heartbeat" by Golden Gardens. This week the playlist has more than my usual 17 tracks. There were quite a few songs that I have been enjoying.  I really like the results of this week's playlist.

As far as local music goes, I just have my faves Autumn and Astronomique on the playlist this week.  I have been listening a lot to their albums Return to the Breath (Autumn) and Burning Stars Fade EP (Astronomique). I have been so occupied listening to Autumn's first album The Hating Tree, I unfortunately have neglected the album. Yes, The Hating Tree is my fave of the two albums but I do think Return to the Breath is a stunning record and has some excellent tracks on it like my featured song on this week's playlist "Red", "All My Lovers", "The End of the Line", and "Lullaby for Marguerite". I can hardly wait for January when the band's third album drops.

Ever since Astronomique released their new single "Mimic Forms", I have been listening to their other EPs which are quite good.  Go check out their music at their bandcamp page (https://astronomique.bandcamp.com/).  Right now "Burning Stars Fade" is my favorite song by the band. It has great beats and the hooks are super infectious.

Lately I have been listening to quite a few symphonic metal bands this week like Amberian Dawn, The Dark Element, and Sleeping Romance. Just got into Amberian Dawn. Their new album Darkness of Eternity is really good. Now I am working myself back with the band's other albums. So far so good. The song "The Court of Mirror Hall" is from their album Innuendo.

Sleeping Romance is a recent discovery. They recently released a new album called Alba this month. Because the music hasn't stood out with me immediately like Nightwish, Amberian Dawn, and Leaves' Eyes (when Liv Kristine was still in the band), it has taken me awhile for me to enjoy the music. singer Federica Lanna almost sounds like Anette Olzon of The Dark Element. This week I had been listening to Alba quite a bit and I am finding myself enjoying the music a lot more with every listen.  I will say this even when I was just meh about the album, I still thought it was a lot better than any of the albums Sirenia (who really needs to call it the day) has put out over the years.

My two favorite bands at the moment that I think my readers should check out are Empathy Test (Losing Touch and Safe From Harm) and Cosmic Armchair (Contact). Both bands have released new albums within the past seven days. I have discovered Empathy Test is a more recent find while Cosmic Armchair I have been a fan for a few years now. Both bands put out some excellent synthpop music. I also recommend checking out Purple Fog Side as well. All three bands have songs featured on this week's playlist.

I really want to like the new Depeche Mode album Spirit but I just cannot for the life of me get into the album however I do love the song "Going Backwards".

I just found out that this week Blutengel and Solar Fake each have a live acoustic album coming out next month. Each band has a song from their perspective albums. They sound really great. Check them out!

Comments

Popular Posts