My current favorite songs of the week

Happy Friday! This week I just wasn't in much of a mood for music, at least for the last couple of days and spent those days listening to my favorite podcasts (especially the ones involving the MN Lynx since this week was the WNBA draft). I have added a couple of more songs to extend the length of this week's playlist.  Most of the songs on this week's playlist is older tunes but I have included some new music. My taste in music this week has been all over place but that is a good thing.

Covenant has a new EP out called Fieldworks Exkursion. I have only listened to once and I really wasn't all that impressed with the music. I am sure though long time Covenant fans will enjoy it.

Another album I am meh about is Helix by Amaranthe which I recently checked out from my library. I adored Maximalism but was completely let down by the new album. Can't say I am surprised I was let down. Amaranthe's music has always been a hit or miss with me. Do love the song "Countdown" which I have featured on this week's playlist.

On the upside, I feel bad for neglecting Chime by Dessa. It is such a good album. "Boy Crazy" is my current favorite song from the album. BTW...Dessa has a book out called My Own Devices: True Stories From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love. It is quite good. Just finished reading it.

Just learned this week Our Native Daughters is touring this summer however bummed that Our Native Daughters is only touring the east coast. Oh well. I do get to see Rhiannon Giddens live as a solo artist later this fall. That said, I do have a few of tracks from Rhiannon, one of the songs on my playlist is a track she sings on The Great Irish Songbook by Dervish, an Irish band which I had never heard of until I found out about the song Rhiannon sings on the album. It is a lovely album. The song Rhiannon sings is called "The May Morning Dew". The other tracks by Rhiannon is "Hit 'Em Up Style" (with her former band Carolina Chocolate Drops) and "O Love is Teasin'" from her first solo album. Rhiannon really can sing just about any song thrown her away. Incredible musician and an amazing vocalist too.

I see that Adia Victoria (another new favorite artist) is playing this year's Rock the Garden, I would go but I don't want to shell out $69 to just watch her perform. I already paid good money for Basililica Block Party on Saturday night to see Chvrches and Metric, and Brandi Carlile at the state fair in August. Anyhoo, if you haven't heard her new album Silences, I really do recommend giving it a listen. Her music isn't post-punk, industrial, or synthpop but neither is Rhiannon Giddens. I discovered Adia through NPR's All Songs Considered (which is also how I discovered the shoegaze band Westkust).
 .

Songs to check out:
"The May Morning Dew" by Dervish (feat. Rhiannon Giddens)
"Different Kind of Love" by Adia Victoria
"See you (Sooner)" by Cosmic Armchair
"Countdown" by Amaranthe
"Bird of Prey" by Helix
"Boy Crazy" by Dessa
"Lavi Difisil" by Our Native Daughters

Comments

Popular Posts