Album of the Week: Black Forest Metal by Hanzel und Gretyl

I have been a fan of Hanzel Und Gretyl for just over a decade now. I have been listening to their brand of industrial/metal since Uber Alles in 2003. For the most part the band has been consistent with their brand of crushing industrial/metal music. I personally always love this sound than their earlier sound which was industrial/techno, it was okay but it lacked the energy that their current sound. While the band has been for the most part consistent with their music, I just wasn't happy with their last two albums 2012's Born to Be Heiled and 2013's Fur Immer (which was a remix album). Despite those two missteps, I didn't stop being a fan of Hanzel Und Gretyl. When the band announced their new album Black Forest Metal, of course I got excited. When I heard their new song "Black Forest Metal" a month ago, I knew that the HuG I loved was back.

The song has classic HuG written all over it. It is brutal and aggressive as their songs off Uber Alles. I was quickly convinced into pre-ordering the album from Metropolis Records. The wait and money invested into the album was definitely worth it. The album was aggressive from start to finish.I definitely think the music is more metal than industrial but that is okay. I have been listening to quite a bit of metal nowadays, more so than I have in the past. The band's twisted sense of humor remains intact. It doesn't take much to figure out that this is a band you shouldn't take at first value with song titles like "Burning Witches for Satan" and "More Metal Than Satan". I love listening to the album as loud as I am permitted to where I live. I love how relentless the guitars and bass riffs are. They bombard my ears as well as the vocals by Vas Kallas and Von Loopy. Their vocals are so in your face and just as harsh as the music. I also love that the album has Satanic theme to it. Of course this is part of the band's humorous charm. If you take the songs on this album at face value then you would have shit for brains.  Black Forest Metal is one of the most satisfying albums of 2014 I have heard. It is also my pick for Album of the Week.

Comments

Popular Posts