Album of the Week: A Strange Play - An Alfa Matrix Tribute to The Cure

For this week's pick for my Album of the Week series, I decided to choose Alfa Matrix's tribute album to the legendary post-punk band The Cure.


I have been eagerly anticipating this album since I first heard about it back in August (I think). I really enjoyed the label's first tribute album to Depeche Mode a few years ago. Like the Depeche Mode tribute albums, A Strange Play features an array of artists from Alfa Matrix's roster, both old and new. Most of the tracks on the two CD compilation are familiar songs but there are some deeper cuts that some music listeners might not be familiar with.  I enjoyed this compilation as much as I did with the first volume of the label's tribute album to Depeche Mode. Every artist on the compilation took the song they were either given or chose to cover and gave it a modern twist. I particularly enjoyed Junksista's version of "The Lovecats", Cosmic Armchair's version of "Friday I'm in Love", Lovelorn Dolls with "Just Like Heaven" and Diffuzion with "Pictures of You". I especially love the "Friday I'm in Love" covered by the Sinagpore band Cosmic Armchair. It is very poppy and upbeat which is what makes me love Cosmic Armchair's sound. I thought Diffuzion's interpretation of "Pictures of You" (my personal favorite song by The Cure) was really covered well. I loved hearing the band slow down a bit for this beautiful ballad. It is different from what I am used to hearing from the band. There were a few tracks that left me unimpressed because I didn't feel that the artist kept enough of The Cure's sound in the songs and it became just another typical EBM track but overall the tribute album is certainly worth the money I paid for it. 

Comments

Popular Posts