Some Food for Thought: My 10 Commandments for music fans

This morning before work I came across Matt Fanale's Ten Commandments of Industrial post on Facebook. That quickly inspired me to create my own Ten Commandments list for my blog tonight. In my case, it is the 10 Commandments for music fans like myself. I would like to say thanks to Matt for being the inspiration for tonight's blog entry. I mean that sincerely as a music junkie/blogger. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Now on to my own 10 Commandments.

Thou Shall...

1. Share new music with friends. Having joined Spotify last month, I have been introducing some new music to my friends (not like that I wasn't before with youtube, which I still do). It appears that my posts are influencing a few of my friends on my FB page. I know people have issues with Spotify (as well as Pandora/Youtube with streaming issues and the amount of $$$ that the artist receives) but for me it is a good way to determine if I want to buy the album or not. I have found some albums I definitely need to buy a CD copy of for my music collection. To continue...

Thou Shall Not...

2. Limit oneself to one particular genre. I must admit I am finding myself enjoying dance music again. The new Berlin album Animal is pure EDM and I love it. I am also loving Lindsey Stirling's debut album too. Today I discovered a great new local band via City Pages called IL Neige. Not a huge fan of indie pop but I totally dig this band. To listen to one particular genre of music is boring. I also been listening to some metal in recent months too. I am finding myself much more productive at work when I listen to all types of music.

Thou Shall...

3. Attend more local shows. I really need to go out more to local shows in the Twin Cities. With Jenny Dalton performing at Cause all October, I need to go see her live again. Jenny Dalton was the first artist I started to going to see live when she friended me on Myspace several years ago. Last time I saw her was at where the Crooked Pint (or Ale, I can't remember) is now (which once housed the 501). Maybe next week I'll go. This past Sunday I went to see my friends in Geodesique at Cause for one last show of the year. It was good just seeing some local live music. This Saturday I plan on attending a show at Club Underground.

Thou Shall Not...

4. Mention Miley Cyrus's name. From here on out, the former Hannah Montana star is only going to be known as She Who Shall Not Be Named. Enough with the ridiculous open letters (and yes I mean you Sinead O'Connor and Amanda Palmer). Stop giving her the attention she obviously craves. At least Annie Lennox was smart enough to no mention her in recent comments.

Thou Shall...

5. Keep personal feelings about certain artists/bands "personal". At least off my blog, my personal FB page is another story but only those who are friends with me sees my rantings which really are rare to begin with . And yes there are a few artists/bands and members of the scene who are on my shit list. In the last year or two, I have noticed how some big names in the goth/industrial scene taking shots at others in the scene. Sure the targets are just asking for ridicule HOWEVER given the position that those people are in, they are not coming off as professional and in the end makes the individual lose some credibility with some fans. I know I am just a lowly blogger but  I do try to make an attempt at presenting myself in a professional manner and to not let my personal bias in get in the way of my blog entries. It's just common sense.

Thou Shall Not...

6. Complain about the lack of good music. That's an easy one for me. It is others who complain about the lack of good music that drives me up the wall. I for one work hard to find new music to discover and enjoy. It is a lot of work scouring the internet for interesting music but my efforts does pay off. Problem is that a lot of people today have the attention span of a gnat and consider music disposable product. I don't. I see music as audio art. If you can't find music to enjoy, then don't bother listening to music at all or just shut the hell up.

Thou Shall...

7. Be honest without insulting in writing reviews on concerts/albums. I guess you could say this could be tied in with #6. I'm going to be honest about bands or albums I don't like. I would hate to lie to myself and pretend to like a particular band when I really don't. Dishonesty is not useful. Keep in mind what I write about a show I have attended or an album I have listened to, it is my personal opinion. It is not factual. At the same time I have to try to show some restraint and not be downright insulting. I have had to learn that over the almost four years with my blog.

Thou Shall Not...

8. Download music illegally. This is another easy commandment for me to follow. Never will be a fan of piracy. As someone who has friends that are musicians, I see their music as art and that a lot of money went into it (studio and instruments) to create it. I think it is only fair for my friends to be compensated for their hard work. I do not treat my music collection as a commodity as a lot of people do. I believe in purchasing music legitimately. If you are too damn cheap to spend money on music, then go to your library. Oh and believe it or not there are some artists who makes music and available for free. Wiping Out Thousands and Technikult of Flesh are two examples of artists whose music is readily available for free. Caustic is another great artist who makes a lot of his music available for free at charge. To say there isn't any free music is a cop out. Do your homework.

Thou Shall...

9. Buy music directly from the artist as much as possible. This year I have bought quite a few albums directly from artists via their websites/bandcamp pages [Ayria, Helalyn Flowers, Mr.Kitty etc...etc...]. I think this helps get more money directly to the artist themselves.

10. Buy merchandise at shows. I try to make a point in buying a t-shirt/CD at concerts I attend. This ties in with #9, getting more $$$ directly to the artist.

Comments

Popular Posts