My top 10 best of 2013

Well it is finally 2014,and as I have promised about waiting until the new year to post my top 10 best of 2013, now I can post it. Putting this list together wasn't easy. I usually do 15-20 albums in the past but in late 2013, I decided to change things a bit and just do 10 and wait until January to post it. Narrowing my picks to 10 albums really required a lot of work for me. I had to go listen to countless albums that were released this year for the past month and a half. Without further ado, here is my top 10 list :).

10. Sensuous Enemy: Voyager


09. Gravity Motion Picture Soundtrack


08. Solitary Experiments: Phenomena


07. Chvrches: The Bones of What You Believe


06. MergingMoon: Kamakikushi


05. Absolute Grrrls Manifesto Chapter One


04. Nightwish: Showtime,Storytime


03. Noblesse Oblige: Affair of the Heart


02. Goldfrapp: Tales of Us


01. Blume: Autumn Ruins


Honorable Mentions:
Front Line Assembly: Echogenetic


Suicide Commando: When Evil Speaks


Marsheaux: Inhale


Otto's Daughter: Arc of a Dream


Syrian: Death of a Sun


Mr.Kitty: Life


Choosing my #1 favorite album for my best of 2013 list was not easy. It was a toss up between Blume and Goldfrapp. Ultimately I picked Blume's Autumn Ruins as my favorite album of 2013. I had been waiting for new music from one of my top favorite synthpop bands for the past three years. The long ass wait was so well worth it. Every song is a real gem but "For My Lorraine" really nailed it for me. The acoustic ballad was a wonderful way to end the album. The mournful lyrics and Enrico's gorgeous vocals truly moved me emotionally. While some people might have found Tales of Us by Goldfrapp dull but for me it was a slice of heaven. I just love the quiet, intimate sound of the album and don't feel so overwhelmed by dance beats that is often the case with their more dance orientated albums. Earlier this year, Affair of the Hearts was on top of my best of 2013 list...that is until Blume and Goldfrapp released their new albums. It was really hard for me to edge that album out of the top spot but I just had to.

For the first time in a long time, FLA put out an album that made me excited. I really loved that they decided to go all out and go with a strictly electronic sound for Echogenetic. The new Suicide Commando album When Evil Speaks is totally kickass. Definitely my favorite aggrotech album of 2013. I thought it was a much stronger album than Amduscia's Filofobia which was good but alas I just think their music hasn't been the same since the unfortunate passing of Edgar. I would have loved to have put the new Otto's Daughter, Marsheaux, Syrian, and Mr.Kitty albums in the top 10 but I just didn't have the room. They are still very good and worthy of an honorable mention with this music junkie/blogger.

Comments

Popular Posts