My current favorite songs of the week

Yeah! It's Friday! It has been a great week for music. L7 just released their new album Scatter the Rats, along with Rhiannon Giddens' There is No Other (with Francesco Turresi), and Joy Williams' Front Porch. I have been eagerly anticipating the releases of those new albums for some time. I have already been listening to Rhiannon's new album because NPR posted it online last week. It has been a real joy to listen. While the new L7 album is no Bricks are Heavy or Smell the Magic, Scatter the Rats is still a fun album to listen to.

I recently put together a playlist of my favorite songs from the classical/pop quartet Bond.  I have included three of my favorite songs by the group. One of my biggest regrets in life is not seeing them live when they were in Minneapolis many, many years ago. Yeah the group is/was essentially the classical crossover version of the Spice Girls but I always enjoyed their music and I am not embarrassed for liking their music.

While I did enjoy Joy Williams' Venus, I felt the foray into synthpop felt forced so I was relieved to see that she went back to her folk/country roots on her new album ala The Civil Wars era. I came close to buying a ticket for her now cancelled tour  this spring but I am glad I didn't given the circumstances in which she had to cancel it. I hope to see Joy perform her wonderful music live one day.

The rest of the playlist is a mix of old and new songs, some that I have featured in the past.

Songs to check out:
"Dystopian Boy" by Solveig Matthildur
"Wayfaring Stranger" by Rhiannon Giddens (feat. Francesco Turrisi)
"Garbage Truck" by L7
"When Does a Heart Move On" by Joy Williams
"Golden Lake" by Altai Kai
"Given to the Gun" by The Rope
"Hungarian" by Bond

Comments

Popular Posts