Album of the week

I have been meaning to make the new Rhiannon Giddens album There is No Other (with Francesco Turrisi) here on my blog but I have keep forgetting to or it kept getting pushed aside by other albums. I am very much a new fan of the former Carolina Chocolate Drops member. Started listening to Rhiannon's solo music at the beginning of 2019. I found her music through Birds of Chicago and the news about the new collaborative group Our Native Daughters which Rhiannon founded. The first album I listened to was her debut solo album Tomorrow is My Turn (named after a Nina Simone song), and I was hooked right away. Later down the road, I checked out her former band's music which is really good. I recommend checking out Leaving Eden, it is my favorite CCD album.



Rhiannon's new album is a collaboration with artist Francesco Turrisi, produced by Joe Henry and recorded/mixed by Ryan Freeland. I heard this album via NPR's First Listen prior to its official release earlier this month, and I was so not disappointed. I really wasn't expecting a new album from her so it was a nice surprise to learn about it last month. Unlike her previous albums, There is No Other is a sparse, acoustic album but Rhiannon's familiar minstrel banjo can be heard on the album. The album is a mix of traditional and original compositions. The sparse instrumentation on the album is a far cry from what I am used to hearing from Rhiannon however I like that she changed things up a bit on her latest album. Change is good. Francesco Turrisi is a talented musician in his own right he is a jazz composer and has a couple of albums out that people can find on Spotify or other streaming platforms. Love his percussion work on the entire album. All the songs are great. I really love listening to Rhiannon sing in Italian on "Pizzica di San Vito". My personal favorite though is "He Will See You Through", a song Rhiannon collaborated on with Dirk Powell. It is a gorgeous piano ballad. It has a very hymn-like quality and it is a great song to close out the album with.

Articles worth reading:
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/25/716045548/first-listen-rhiannon-giddens-there-is-no-other
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/rhiannon-giddens-there-is-no-other/
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/review-rhiannon-giddens-there-is-no-other-829924/
https://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/tsunamis-of-creative-magnificence-ani-difranco-and-rhiannon-giddens-speak/article_d9127528-260a-52a4-a740-c921d63ef6d2.html

Comments

Popular Posts