Basilica Block Party 2019

Last night I went to the Basilica Block Party for the very first time because I wanted to see Metric and Chvrches. It has been several years since I last saw Metric (2012 at the State Theatre), and I saw Chvrches live last October and was blown away by their live set. Took lots of photos and some video footage for my Instagram page.









View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Erica Anderson (@eanderson1974) on






I arrived at the church around 5 in the afternoon. I caught a couple of songs from singer/songwriter Lissie's set over by the Great Clips show before getting a bite to eat near the Preferred One stage where Metric and Chvrches were going to perform at. The first band that went on is the Swedish indie/pop band Flora Cash. They went on about 5:45pm and played until 6:45. Their recorded music is very mellow but I loved their live set. I hope in the future there music takes an electric turn. IMO they sound better as a rock band than a pop band.

Metric was next at 7:15 with an hour long set. It was really good to see them live but unfortunately their sound in the beginning of their set was awful. I could barely distinguish Emily Haines' lyrics during "Breathing Underwater" (my favorite Metric song). It kinda got better towards the end but compared to Flora Cash and Chvrches' sets, their sound was not good at all. I was impressed that Emily who was dressed in black head to toe could manage to stay energetic throughout the set despite the blazing sun and humidity (which was anything but comfortable).

Chvrches went on at 8:35. I was not disappointed. I love Lauren's banter inbetween songs. The band truly knows how to put on a live show. I miss hearing the songs "Really Gone" and "Empty Threat" but the band was on a tight schedule for the show and could only put on an hour long set. Overall it was great seeing the band live again.

That said, I have no desire to go to another Basilica Block Party, hot/humid temperatures and alcohol do not mix well. During Metric's set, there was a fight which I think was a result of alcohol and the heat. People shouldn't binge drink so much in the heat when alcohol dehydrates the body. I knew better and stuck to water. Having one truck with water for people to refill their bottles was a huge mistake. IMO there should have been two,  the other one being near the Preferred One stage. Sometime between the Metric and Chvrches sets, I ended up being pushed up towards the front which pissed off a couple of women and I got an earful from them and it was no fault of my own because a bunch of lily white ass bros got into it. Eventually they calmed down when they realized that it was not my fault and they apologized to me. Also being under 5 feet tall sucks. It is one tall person after another. On the upside, I met a young lady who was really nice and concerned about my ability to see the show and she was generous to help me get away from being stuck behind a tall guy wearing a hat. Should have gotten her name. Shout out to her and the others who were nice enough to let me through the audience. I hate asking people if I could get closer to the stage. This show makes me appreciate all the smaller shows I attend. I don't have to deal with the BS I had to last night.

Comments

Popular Posts