Playlist of the week

I have been listening to a lot of hip hop music from China and Vietnam as of lately. Last week I discovered a really killer playlist of female Chinese rap artists. I am particularly fond of Miss Ko, Karencici, Awkwafina (yes, that Awkwafina from Crazy Rich Asians), VaVa, and Dizzy Dizzo at the moment. I am not bothered by the language barrier. It's funny I am never been much of a hip hop fan but I find hip hop music outside the US (and this includes Mexico and Latin America) far more interesting to listen to because the music incorporates music from the artist's native country and blends it with modern hip hop beats. My issue with American hip hop music is that it is so redundant and cliched, not all but a lot of it is and sometimes problematic due to homophobia and misogyny (yeah no thanks).


My favorite tracks: #12, #19, #21, and #13

Comments

Popular Posts