Album of the week

Over the weekend I learned that Dido released her first album in five years called Still On My Mind. I was not aware of this news. Since Sunday, I have been listening to the album 2 or more times a day. Yesterday I listened to the album four times. To say I love the album is putting it mildly. Such a chill album especially on this rainy Tuesday evening.

I first heard Dido on my favorite Faithless  album Sunday 8pm, and then her song "Here I Am" on the original series Roswell which really made me a fan. Her first two albums No Angel and Life For Rent are timeless classics. In the last couple of years, I ended up acquiring CDs of those albums for my music collection (again). Truth be told, Girl Who Got Away and Safe Trip Home really didn't excite me but then again at the time of those albums, my taste in music was different. I will definitely have to listen to those albums again now that I have gotten back into Dido's music thanks in part to her new album. My views on those albums may have changed over the years.

Still On My Mind still sounds like the early Dido albums that I first fell in love with  the gentle trip hop beats. Just because Dido sounds like her old self does not mean that she has stayed in the '90s. I can hear the gentle wafts of EDM on tracks like "Take You Home", "Mad Love", and "Chances". I like that Dido does not go overboard on the EDM and allows her vocals and music remain the focus of her songs especially on"Mad Love" and "Chances". I swear I feel like I can hear the late Aviici shine through on her more EDM orientated tracks especially on "Chances".

For some people, Still On My Mind will most likely be dull but for fans like me, I love the album. The music is great music to unwind to.

Comments

Popular Posts