My current favorite songs of the week

Yay! It's the weekend! Boo! More snow is expected to fall between Saturday and Sunday. I am definitely over winter. If you haven't heard, the upcoming Massive Attack show at the Palace Theatre at the end of this month has been postponed (along with the rest of the tour) due to illness. The plans for the band is to tour in the fall so at least the tour wasn't cancelled. I'm disappointed but shit happens.

This week I have been listening to a lot of shoegaze music, especially from Sweden (Westkust, Hurula, and Makthaverskan which includes a couple of members from Westkust). Really love the sounds of Westkust, Hurula, and Makthaverskan. Their music is noisy, melodic, and fast. I discovered Hurula earlier this week when his song "Sjalvmedicnering"started playing after I listened to Westkust's self-titled album, and I immediately fell in love with his music. I stayed pretty close to the scene with the sounds of postpunk sounds of Holygram, The Foreign Resort, The Fauns, and Tashaki Miyazaki. It has been a while since I listened to some Holygram. Love their album Modern Cults. It is such a great album.

I so have forgotten how good Black Forest Metal by Hanzel und Gretyl. I have neglected the album for too long. I was not impressed with their previous studio album Born to Be Heiled (it had some good tracks but there were a few I thought were pretty bad to be brutally honest). Black Forest Metal was far darker and heavier than its predecessor, certainly a lot more metal. I also like that the themes of their music started going in the vein of Brothers Grimms fairytales.

I got a good mix of non-postpunk music. Love the new Cranberries song "The Pressure". I will most likely buy the final album from the band. Also digging the sounds of Adia Victoria and Gary Clark Jr. . Of course still playing the hell out of the new Our Native Daughters album.


Songs to check out:
"Daylight" by Westkust
"Demands" by Makthaverskan
"Sjalvmedicinering" by Hurula
"Different Kind of Love" by Adia Victoria
"The Pressure" by The Cranberries
"Dead Channel Skies" by Holygram
"Cool Stuff" by The Fauns
"Orange Glow" by The Foreign Resort

Comments

Popular Posts