Playlist of the week

Initially I was going to post a playlist I put together last week which consists of songs that I can never stop listening to but at the very last second, I got another idea. I have been listening a lot of new and interesting music that has recently come out in the new year. Quite a bit of the music I have been discovering has been through NPR's All Songs Considered.

One of my favorite albums of lately is the self titled album Westkust by the swedish band Westkust. They are a noisy pop/rock band ala My Bloody Valentine. I discovered the band through NPR a few weeks ago and was immediately hooked on their music with their first single "Cotton Skies" off the new album which came out last Friday.  From what I heard there was a line up change so now Julia handles all the vocals which I love over their last album which she just shared vocals with another band member who left the band since then.

While at work today, after listening to Westkust's new album, I discovered the post-punk sounds of another Swedish artist Hurula. The song I heard was "Sjalvmedicinerering". I found that he has a new album out called Klass and the rest is history. I really don't care about the language barrier, Hurula's music gave me a swift kick in the ass. It was so good. Noisy yet melodic. I will have to listen to his other albums to compare them with the new album.

I don't know why I never gave Gary Clark Jr.'s music a listen but I am glad I did now after All Songs Considered gave the album a shout out recently. That got my curiosity piqued and I enjoyed what I heard on This Land. Love the title track which incorporates hip hop with blues/rock.

Another artist I think fans of country music (not that country and western BS) needs to hear is Yola, a country/soul artist from England. Her voice is like butter. Go check out her song "Shady Grove".

The Cranberries has a new song out called "Pressure". It is a bit heartbreaking to listen to considering the fact that Dolores is no longer with us on this planet. I really liked what I heard. I'll probably buy the band's final album.

Songs to check out:
"Cotton Skies" by Westkust
"Sjalvmedicinering" by Hurula
"This Land" by Gary Clark Jr.
"Shady Grove" by Yola
"Cry Wolf" by Adia Victoria
"Moon Meets the Moon" by Our Native Daughters
"The Pressure" by The Cranberries

Comments

Popular Posts