My current favorite songs of the week

Raise your hands if you are as sick of snow as I am. Oh hell! I am so sick of winter in general. Fortunately I have been able to keep myself amused with some new music. For this week's playlist, I have a good mix of old and new music. Just can't stop listening to the new

Today I was in a Tegan and Sara mood. I listed to their albums Heartthrob and Love You to Death. I hadn't listened to those albums in a good year I think. I feel bad for neglecting them. I love Tegan and Sara's change in sound from folk to electropop.

In recent weeks, I have been listening a lot to NPR's All Songs Considered podcast. Thanks to NPR, I have gotten into the noisy pop/rock sounds of the Swedish band Westkust. Today they released their new self-titled album. I liked this album so much more than the previous album. Westkust is a band I so recommend checking out. Adia Victoria is another artist I discovered through All Songs Considered. She is a amazing blues musician. Her new album Silences is so good. I don't enjoy everything that I hear on All Songs Considered but it is a good place to find new music.

I really want to like the new Blutengel album Un:Gott but the more I listen to it, the less I like it. There are a few songs I like on it but like the band's last 2-3 albums, I have been bored with their music. Tranenherz was the last good album they put out.

Another artist I have started listening to as of lately is Yola. Her music is a mix of country/soul/folk/blues. What a voice. She has such a commanding voice ala Amysthyt Kiah.


Artists/bands to check out:
Westkust
Yola
Adia Victoria
Lindi Ortega

Songs to check out:
"Rush" by Westkust
"Can't Calm Down" by Hand Habits
"Shady Grove" by Yola
"Music and Joy" by Our Native Daughters
"Cry Wolf" by Adia Victoria
"Quiet" (stripped down version) by MLCK

Comments

Popular Posts