Pet Peeves of the Week

Pet Peeve #1: Don't label your music as something that it really isn't or can be easily misinterpreted. I sure made that mistake today.

While at work today, I got a notification that Brooklyn, NY band Of Clocks and Clouds had started following my Twitter account. As I am chilling out before I go to bed, I decided to check out their album You on their bandcamp page after seeing the band use the term "dark electro" to describe their sound on their bandcamp page. The Flaming Lips and Radiohead were the first two bands that quickly popped into my head when I started listening to their music. Lets face it, I don't listen to those bands nor the type of music they play (and we all know what I listen to...;)). My opinion? I liked what I heard but if you are going to use the term "dark electro", it better live up to its name because to me the music does NOT live up to the term "dark electro", look whose blog you are reading...a music junkie who spends hours at work listening to the sounds of Unter Null, Suicide Commando, Hocico, God Module, Decoded Feedback, ect...ect... . This is a rock album plain and simple. Do I think it should be heard? Of course especially for fans of Flaming Lips and Radiohead. I think this band is talented.


Pet Peeve #2: If you are going to put together a music festival in the Twin Cities, make sure it lives up to the term "music festival"

So today on my morning break at work,I saw on City Pages' website that Downtown Records is bringing to Minneapolis a music festival to Skyway Theatre. You can read about it here. It goes without saying (not really) that I was anything but impressed with the line up. Never heard of the majority of the bands save for Future Islands and local band Hippo Campus. I'm sorry but when I think of music festivals, the first thing that comes to my mind is Coachella,Pitchfork,and Lollapalooza and has more than ten bands which I usually have heard of most of the roster on the bill. The cost of attending this festival is $59 (GA), $76 (VIP) for both days. Talk about overpriced for a bunch of mostly unknown bands. I'll say this about this music festival, at least it doesn't have the most white bread, bland, boring artists like the Skyline Music festival at Target Field that will be happening in August with the likes of Melissa Etheridge and O.A.R (gag me). I think in the very near future I will have to make a trip to Chicago for Lollapalooza and see a real music festival. Most (not all)  festivals that occurs here in the Twin Cities leaves something less to be desired. 

Comments

Popular Posts