Album of the week: Magnum Tenebrosum by Promidal

I honestly wasn't sure which album would be this week's pick for Album of the Week. It was a toss up between VNV Nation's Noire, John Carpenter's soundtrack for the new Halloween film, or the third album by Promidal titled Magnum Tenebrosum which was released last week. After much consideration for the past 24 h ours, I opted for the new Promidal album Magnum Tenebrosum.

If you haven't of the band Promidal, a local black industrial metal band from the Twin Cities. I have been following them for several years now and have posted countless video clips through my Twitter/Facebook page from their shows. It was 2012 when the band first dropped Dead Nation.  I have watched Tracey Setterlund and his band evolve over the years from the the line up to the band's sound. Initially Promidal's sound was in the aggrotech vein but as time wore on black metal slowly began to play a bigger role in the band's sound. While black metal in general is not my favorite genre, I will make a few exceptions one being Hanzel und Gretyl and the other being Promidal. Their live shows have been and still is phenomenal. Granted I do miss the blood and gore theatrics from their earlier shows but the band knows how to crush it live with the loud, grinding guitars, crisp synth beats, and thunderous bass lines coupled with Tracey's guttural vocals.

Promidal has really come a long way from Dead Nation to Magnum Tenebrosum. In comparison to Magnum Tenebrosum, Dead Nation is a demo in comparison. The band's second album Simul iustus et peccator was a massive improvement from Dead Nation. The production value had improved quite a bit. The black metal influences definitely took over on this album.

I had the immense pleasure of seeing Promidal perform songs from the new album last weekend. I hadn't listened to the new album yet so to hear the new album live was amazing. The band crushed it. I have yet to upload the video footage from the show I recorded because of the lack of time (busy on Sunday and work during the week), I will try for this weekend despite the plans I have in real life.  I finally go to listen to the new album yesterday and have listened to it a few times today. Magnum Tenebrosum is absolutely fucking brutal and heavy AF! This album is the band's best effort to date. My favorite tracks definitely are "Force Fed (Worms of the Earth)", "Erotika", "Destroyer of the Light", and "Throat Fucked With a Gun". I couldn't help but notice just how much "Throat Fucked With a Gun" reminded me of early Combichrist (before I realized what asshats that band is, sorry not sorry for being that petty on my blog). The song is aggressive yet melodic. It has a really solid pop hook despite it being a very brutal metal/industrial track.

 As someone who has been listening to Promidal for the past several years and going to their live shows, I can really hear the growth and maturity in the band's vocals, lyrics, and music. Dead Nation was a pretty good but it basically was a demo judging by the production value of course every band has to start somewhere. I strongly believe I am finally starting to hear the full potential of the band with their latest album and I most certainly believe this should be heard on a larger scale. I hope Magnum Tenebrosum brings them the attention that Promidal so deserves and gets them on concert stages  far larger than the one at Club Underground. Magnum Tenebrosum might give Autumn's Chandelier a run for its money as far as my favorite local album of 2018. It will be a tough call when the time comes for me to pick my favorite local albums of 2018 at the end of the year. So please check out the new Promidal album. It is fucking amazing and please do go to their shows when I post their events on Facebook. They are fantastic live!

I have included video footage from 2017, the new Promidal video, and photos and a Instagram video clip from Saturday's show.








Comments

Popular Posts