Album of the Week: My Mind Makes Noises by Pale Waves

Last weekend, I made another trip to the Electric Fetus to see if they had any Dead Can Dance music. The store only had one album and not the one I was looking for however I did find some new music that made up for the lack of Dead Can Dance music. One of the albums I bought was the debut album My Mind Makes Noises by the Manchester band Pale Waves. I discovered the band earlier this year through youtube and fell immediately in love with their sound which made me feel like my child self in the '80s. Every track they posted on youtube for the last few months, I just grew to love the band's sound more and more. The band definitely left a lasting impression on this music junkie.

I have to admit The Guardian nailed it when they said that Pale Waves really sounds like Taylor Swift in 80s retro mode. While some of their lyrics do come off as a bit on the emo-ish side and I would agree with what the reviewer had to say in The Guardian article, keep in mind this is a young band they have years to work on their songwriting skills. I think it will get better over time as the band matures. I will say that the last track "Karl (I Wonder What It's Like to Die)". I have a love-hate sort of relationship with the song. I liked how heartfelt and vulnerable singer/guitarist Heather Baron-Gracie is on this track but at the same time the lyric at times came off quite cheesy and juvenile. On the other hand, Heather Baron-Gracie was baring her soul when she wrote the song.  In another review from Substream Magazine, the author felt the album was a song or two songs too long. I would not agree with that statement. I think 14 tracks is just fine. I have been listening to the album every day and without skipping a single track.

FYI...Live Nation Presents...Pale Waves, The Candescents at Amsterdam Bar on 11/24.


Comments

Popular Posts