My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! I hope everyone had a great week! This week I discovered a great new darkwave/post-punk band  from Iceland called Kaelan Mikla. I had been seeing ads for their upcoming album Nott eftir nott on Facebook so I finally checked out a couple of songs that is available for streaming on their bandcamp page. I loved what I had heard and pre-ordered a copy of the album after work. This is the sort of music I have been enjoying as of lately (and unfortunately less of  EBM by the likes of VNV Nation, De/Vision, Grendel, and Panic Lift just to name a few which the Ground Zero crowd loves). I am really looking forward to hearing the new album. I will have to listen to the band's other albums whenever I get a chance to this weekend.

I have listened to the new VNV Nation album a few more times this week. I like it but with my taste in music shifting towards the post-punk/darkwave sounds, the music does not get my blood pumping like the way bands such as Kaelan Mikla, Holygram, Principe Valiente, Box and the Twin does. The first time I heard "When is the Future" when it was unleashed upon the world last week, the song left me feeling meh about the track but the more I listened to the song, the more the song grew on me. It has definitely become one of my favorite songs from the album.

Love the soundtrack to the new Halloween film (which I will see on Sunday). It is classic John Carpenter. I love that John gave the theme song a modern sound but without taking away the memorable and chilling melodies that makes the song a favorite of mine at this time of year.

Death Valley Girls has a new album out Darkness Rains. I loved it and I only listened to it once this week. My current favorite track is "Disaster( Is What We're After)". Go check it out. It is fantastic. I hope the band does a headlining tour and comes back to Minneapolis. They were fantastic live when they toured with L7.

Another band I discovered this week is Birds of Chicago, a husband and wife duo from  Chicago and Montreal. I found them through Spotify via Chastity Brown's Spotify page. I am not a huge fan of roots-rock/Americana music but I think I do dig the sounds of Brandi Carlile, Chastity Brown, and now Birds of Chicago. Every now and then I do need a breather from all the dark, edgier music that I listen to, and Birds of Chicago's music provides me that freedom from the music I normally listen to at work. I only have listened to their new album Love in Wartime so I can't really compare this album with their previous albums. I am sure I will like them.

Thanks to City Pages and their annual list of Picked to Click (2018), I have two bands featured on this playlist: Gully Boys and Scunchies. I have only had the chance to listen to their albums once but judging by what I had heard I dug their sounds. I have included a song from each band on my playlist. Go check them out!

Songs to check out:
"Halloween Theme" by John Carpenter (from the 2018 Halloween film)
"When is the Future" by VNV Nation
"Love in Wartime" by Birds of Chicago
"Disaster (Is What We're After)" by Death Valley Girls
"A Faction" by Holygram
"Hvernig kemst eg upp?" by Kaelan Mikla

Comments

Popular Posts