My current favorite songs of the week

Happy Friday/weekend! Here is my latest playlist of my current favorite songs.

Robyn and Solitary Experiments dropped new albums today. I will admit Honey is no Body Talk (an album I absolutely adore) but it is a great album. It has been 8 years since Robyn released new music. I hope for a US tour in the near future. The new Solitary Experiments album Future Tense is excellent, their song "Shelter" is my current favorite song from the new album. I am enjoying their new album a lot more than the new VNV Nation album Noire. The music on Noire has left me going "meh".The album has some good songs like "God of All" but it is not their best album to date, not by a long shot. So far Ashbury Height's The Victorian Wallflowers is my favorite synthpop album of 2018.  Next month !distain will be releasing a new album. I am definitely looking forward to hearing that album. 

I really have been digging the Americana/roots-rock sounds of Birds of Chicago lately. I found them on Spotify via Chastity Brown and started listening to their music out of curiosity.  I have included a couple of songs by the band from their previous albums. Their music helps take some of the edge of that often comes from listening to too much dark, heavy, aggressive music at the office. Of the two songs I have put on my playlist, "Cannonball" is my personal fave. Super light-hearted, catchy love song. Just love the harmonizing between the husband and wife duo.

I loved Amaranthe's last album Maximalism but their new album Helix has left me unimpressed. There are a few songs I like such as "Countdown" (featured on this week's playlist) but overall not a great album. The same can be said about the new Funker Vogt album Wastelands . I want to like the new Funker Vogt album but after the third song on the album, I am done.

Since Halloween is getting closer and I had saw the new Halloween film, I did throw on a couple of songs from the new film and the original.

I finally got around to checking out a local band called City of the Weak. After years of releasing singles and EPs, the band has released a full length album called Pulling Teeth. Catchy songs but there really isn't anything that really stands out with me. I think their music is for a younger generation. I am in my mid-40s and this brand of hard rock music doesn't appeal to me. I do like the song "Censor This" quite a bit.

The more I listen to the new Emika album Falling in Love With Sadness, the more I love it. It reminds me a bit of her album Drei (which I bought on a whim a couple of years ago and fell in love with her music). I have included a couple of songs from that album on this week's playlist "Could This Be" and "Close".

I can't stop listening to All Hail the Silence's "Diamonds in the Snow". It is one of the best songs I have heard all year. Too bad I have to wait until January 2019 for their album to drop.

Threw in three songs from Autumn, one from each of their albums: Chandelier, The Hating Tree, and Return to the Breath. The band will also be performing on NYE at the Beyond the Veil: A Dark Masquerade. I am on the fence for that event since I despise NYE and that people go out to get shitfaced on that night of the year.

I am really excited to hear the new album by Kaelan Mikla Nott eftir nott which comes out next month. They are my new favorite band in the post punk genre. Love their new song "Naeturblom".

Comments

Popular Posts