My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! So glad the weekend has finally arrived. This week felt like it would never come to an end. Now for this week's playlist. Unlike last week's mix, I actually have quite a few new songs mixed in with some old faves from my summer playlist Spotify created for me from past summers but I also heard some great new music too.

I didn't realize that Mediaeval Baebes has a new album out called A Pocketful of Posies. If anyone is familiar with Miranda Sex Garden, Mediaeval Baebes is Katherine Blake's post-MSG project. Love MB's earlier albums but over the years I lost interest when their music veered into pop music territory. I only listened to half of the 29 track album but I liked what I heard on the new album. Sounds like MB is going back to their roots in choral/classical music. My favorite track off the album is "Lavender's Blue".

Thanks to Facebook and Instagram, I have been seeing ads (for a show at The Turf Club) for the blues/rock band Southern Avenue. I decided to check their music. Blues music isn't a genre I listen to on a regular basis but I dug what I heard on their album Keep On. The song that stood out with me the most was the very queer friendly "She Gets Me High". I really recommend checking out that song on most streaming platforms. Great way to close Pride month.

Not long ago City Pages (aka Shitty Pages) published an article on local hip hop artist Dizzy Fae (who is touring with Lizzo). I decided to check out her music on Spotify last week. I really dug what I had heard with her song "Company". A couple of days ago this week, Dizzy Fae dropped a new mix tape called No GMO Mixtape. I think there was only a couple of tracks that were a total miss for me but overall I really loved the album. There really are some killer jams on her new mixtape. I had a difficult time picking out which song to put on this week's mix but in the end I went with "Altar".

Still enjoying the hell out of the new SKALD album, so much so I ordered a copy of Vikings Chant earlier this week. I also ordered the new Mondtraume album today after streaming it this morning at work. The new album did not disappoint me and was so worth the long ass wait.


Songs to check out:
"Clandestino" by Lila Downs
"Hellfire" by Kirlian Camera
"Autumn (acoustic)" by Tiny Deaths
"Lavender's Blue by Mediaeval Baebes
"Altar" by Dizzy Fae
 "She Gets Me High" by Southern Avenue
"Lovers, Sinners, and Liars" by Mondtraume
"Walfreyjudrapa" by SKALD

Comments

Popular Posts