Best of 2014: Aon by Emmon

Emmon: Aon

I am not really sure how I came across Swedish electropop artist Emmon. I think it was through Spotify last year. Anyways I recently saw that she had recently released her new album Aon last month thanks to Spotify. I took a listen and immediately loved what I heard. The 9 song album is 42 minutes of catchy electropop songs. Granted the songs are not as memorable as her previous album Nomme (which I definitely recommend checking out), As a music fanatic who is constantly on the prowl for music that a lot of people in the goth/industrial scene are not familiar with, Emmon's new album hits the spot with me. I am often reminded a bit of Feathers, a synthpop act from Austin, TX. and a smidgeon of Depeche Mode, especially on the track "Felix Baumgartner".  I still find Aon immensely enjoyable. I read in a review of the album that there wasn't any standout tracks, I beg to differ. There are some fantastic songs on the album such as "Pitch Black", "Felix Baumgartner", and my personal favorite "Alone" which for me has the strongest pop hooks on the three songs. I have heard a lot of music released this year and I personally thought that Aon had some of the best production I have heard. I like how Emma Nylen's vocals is front and center and the music is woven around her voice as opposed to drowning her out like on some albums in the electro scene or that the beats are derivative and monotonous to a point where I feel like I have heard them before from other artists. You know I really love this album when I just had to add Aon to my Google Play account before I get my actual copy of the album..Aon is easily one of my favorite releases of 2014.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts