Eye vs. Spy Tour at Mill City Nights on 12.10.14

Another major concert in the dark underground scene has come and gone again. This time it was the Eye vs. Spy tour featuring Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Haujobb, and Youth Code. Originally VNV Nation was part of the line up but at the last second the band had to pull out of the tour. Thankfully Front Line Assembly was ready and willing to fill the void left by VNV Nation. Of course VNV Nation's departure from the tour wasn't without its fair share of controversy but it is what it is and the show went on.

As for the show, I was not disappointed with every band. I was particularly excited about Youth Code because I had missed them the first time around earlier this year. Although their set was just 20 minutes long, for me that was 20 minutes of bliss. I was a bit surprised by how calm the audience were during their set. Given the aggressive tone of their set, I would think that a mosh pit would erupt during their short set but I was wrong. The duo of Ryan and Sara played most of their EP A Place to Stand with a couple of tracks from their self-titled album. I love the band's raw energy and Sara's harsh vocals and angst-riddled lyrics. Youth Code is definitely one of my top 10 favorite (new) bands of 2014.

Up next was the German EBM band Haujobb. They were really good live. I think their music translates better live. For me, on record their music lacks the energy I heard from them on Wednesday night. Their set was about 30 minutes long give or take a few minutes. I hope to see them again live in the near future.

Front Line Assembly tore through the next hour with a killer set. It had been three years since I first saw them live at Ground Zero. The band did not disappoint many a fan that night. There was a good mix of old and new songs. The energy of the band that night was amazing. I hope I don't have to wait another 3 years for the band to tour again. They are fantastic live.

And finally the almighty Skinny Puppy. I first saw them earlier this year in February and once again this past week. What a real treat to see this legendary band twice. They really put on one helluva live show. Their set was pretty much the same as the first time they were in town but that is okay. They still put on one of the best shows I have seen all year. The band really invests the time and energy into putting on a killer set with interesting visuals and costumes (except for Cevin Key who is busy focusing on the music). I really wish a lot of bands in the dark electro scene put the time and energy into their sets as does Skinny Puppy. As much as I wish I could have been around to see the band when Dwayne Goettel was alive but I am very happy to say that I have seen Skinny Puppy twice and all in one year. Personally I find their music much more engaging live than when I listen to it at home.

For me this is the last concert for 2014. Because of my upcoming trip to Chicago for Nightwish in April of 2015, I am going to be particularly picky about what shows I attend. I have to save as much money for spending in the windy city. As the last show of the year for me, the Eye vs. Spy tour was a highly energetic and incredibly fun show to watch. It definitely ended my year in concerts on a high note. I did leave the show with a Youth Code shirt to show my support for the band. Wish I got to meet them but hopefully one day I will. With just a handful of dates left on the tour, I definitely recommend to people to catch them while you can. I can definitely say I got my money's worth out of the show.

goth_maven's Eye versus Spy tour album on Photobucket










Comments

Popular Posts