Best of 2014: Too True by Dum Dum Girls

Now that it is officially December and it is the last month of the year, it is time for me to start getting my end of the year list ready. Like last year, I am going to write about each of my favorite albums as often as possible on my blog. Some of the albums will wind up on my best of list, and some may not. Which ones that will be is anyone's guess.

Tonight, I have chosen Too True by Dum Dum Girls.


Too True was the first album that was released in 2014 that I bought. I first heard the album when I borrowed a copy from the library. I automatically fell in love with the music right away. It did not take me very long to acquire my own copy of the album. The music on Too True certainly has a sixties pop quality to its sound but yet maintains a sleek, modern sound that mixes rock, pop and electronica. The results of fusing retro with modern music is bliss to the ears of this music fanatic.  One of the first things that popped in my head when I first listened to the album was The Raveonettes. And if you read the liner notes in the CD booklet, Sune Rose Wagner from The Raveonettes is listed in the credits for his contributions to the album. The majority of the songs have me obsessed over them with their infectious pop melodies especially on tracks like "Cult of Love", "Rimbaud's Eyes", and "Are You Okay?". Dum Dum Girls' music has certainly evolved since I Will Be first came out in 2010. Personally I like direction DeeDee Penny is currently taking with her band. For me the music is a lot more melodic than on the first DDG album.

I had the immense pleasure of catching the band live twice this year and seeing them live made me love their music even more so. Dum Dum Girls not only put out a killer album in 2014 but they have become one of my personal favorite bands. I am truly looking forward to hearing more music from them in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts