Book of Love with Finesse and Jake Rudh at 7th St Entry on 12.02.17

Last night I went to 7th St Entry to see the legendary '80s new wave act Book of Love, local synthpop act Finesse and DJ Jake Rudh. The show was sold out. Supposedly this 30th anniversary tour was going to have all four members but as it turned out it was just Susan and Ted Ottaviano. No complaints from me. The stage at 7th St Entry is pretty small. Not sure if all four could have fit on stage anyways. DJ Jake Rudh from 89.3 The Current's Transmission and his weekly show at now the VFW in uptown spun new wave tunes for the show in between sets. I felt like I was at Transmission but with live music included in between Rudh's sets. LOL!

Finesse started off the show at 10pm with their brand of '80s influenced synthpop. The duo recently released their debut EP Unbroken Memory via Guilt Ridden Pop which is excellent. I definitely recommend downloading it.





Finesse was definitely the perfect opening band for Book of Love with their '80s influenced new romantic/new wave music, and with Jake Rudh's sets, the night was all about the '80s.

The audience really had a great time through out the night. Book of Love hit the stage about 11pm. This was the first time I had seen Book of Love. I thought the band sounded incredible as a live act even if it was just Susan and Ted. One of my favorite songs during Book of Love's set was their new song "All Girl Band", a shout out to all the bands that influenced Book of Love.



A post shared by Erica Anderson (@eanderson1974) on






Funny thing that happened last night, I accidentally deleted my video footage of "Boy" but in the end I am glad I did. The footage I recorded wasn't that great compared to "Lullaby", the last song of the night. I was right behind someone taller than me and the person next to me kept raising her arms out while dancing so I had a lot of head and elbow shots. Fortunately the people to my left decided to leave before the encore and I was able to get better video footage for my blog. Overall the concert was worth leaving the comforts of my home and brave the chilly December temperatures.



Personal rant: I'm not going to lie but I really have come to dislike sold out shows especially in tiny venues like 7th St Entry and The Turf Club. As a short person, it is not a fun experience being surrounded by so many people. It sucks. I had more elbow room at the Chelsea Wolfe show in October and had a better view.  Shows like last night's has made me realized how much less fun it is going to concerts. Maybe because of the crap I went through this year, I just don't have much patience for people any more, and shows have become less fun for me. That said, I am glad I went to the show and I had fun for the most part. 

Comments

Popular Posts