At Home With Monsters weekend

I took tomorrow off from work because I have a medical appointment and it is just a lot easier for me to take the day off than try to get to work in a timely manner via public transit especially with my job being in Edina. I thought for tonight's blog, I would do something totally different and write about the new exhibit that just opened up at Minneapolis Institute of Arts At Home With Monsters. I know it is not music related but considering that my blog attracts many in the local geek community, why not review the show?

I had the immense pleasure of going to the sold out opening night celebration last night. This was my first time going to the museum at night.


The doorway alone to the exhibit was a work of art. I loved that the eyes moved.



I loved that the first thing that greeted me at the door was the angel of death from the second Hellboy film. There is something about Guillermo del Toro's work that even if you have never say his Hellboy movies (I'm guilty of that crime I have to admit), you can definitely tell that his work. I knew right then and there this exhibit was going to be great, if not something special.

For me, my favorite Guillermo del Toro film is Pan's Labyrinth so it goes without saying that my favorite part of the exhibit was seeing all the sketches and figures from the film.







I should note I have taken a shit load of photos and I have not gotten to Pale Man yet but you can keep an eye out for it through my Instagram account at this link www.instagram.com/eanderson1974.

A lot of the exhibit features art work which includes a large comic book collection that Guillermo del Toro has collected over the years. I really enjoyed the section that focused on Edgar Allan Poe and H.P Lovecraft. I especially dug the Edgar Allan Poe in his chair set to the sounds of a thunderstorm.

My favorite part of the weekend was going to today's Creative Conversation with Guillermo del Toro.

That lecture was so fascinating. It was so worth the 20 minutes I spent on hold to get my ticket. Sadly I didn't realize at the time the book signing was a separate event but from what I understand those tickets sold out by 10:40 which was about the same time I got through to the museum. I can't really complain though. After all I did score a ticket to the opening night celebration which many people did not. I loved that Guillermo wasn't shy about using foul language which he peppered throughout the entire 90 minute conversation. I enjoyed hearing him answer some of questions audience members had submitted to the MIA staff earlier. One of my favorite moments was when he was talking about the making of his film Cronus and how difficult it was for him to get the film made. Fascinating stuff.

Before I left the museum, I picked up the book At Home With Monsters. What a great way to end the weekend. I definitely plan on seeing the exhibit again. I so recommend checking it out. The cost of admission is so worth the visit.

Comments

Popular Posts