Albums and playlists I am currently listening to

Believe it or not, I actually spent this past week listening to actual albums as opposed to my playlists. I have been on a big synthpop kick this week between the new albums by Unity One, Nordika, and Blume. In the past 24 hours since Ashes (Blume) came out, I have already listened to it (both on CD, Spotify, and Google Play) over a dozen times. 2018 is shaping up to be a great year for synthpop music (and music in general).

I am really digging the Venus in Aries album Beyond the Veil. I certainly would have placed it on my best of 2017 list had I remembered to check that band out. I so recommend for my readers to check out this band.

At the moment, I am listening to the new Belly album Dove. I want to say I love the album like I do with the recent releases by Autumn, Blume, Nordika, and Unity One but I can not. I do like the album but I miss the swirling, jingly guitar riffs heard on Star. I will say I do like the harmonies on the album and there are some good tracks like "Girl"  and "Human Child". I should really listen to it more for the music to sink in. I am though excited to be seeing the band again in October. Belly is really good live.

This past week, I decided to listen to Faithless's To All New Arrivals. I had stopped listening to them after No Roots because I found it immensely disappointing compared to the group's previous three albums. I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I expected. It is no Reverance or Sunday 8pm but it is a much huge improvement over No Roots. The most interesting guest appearance on this album is Robert Smith from The Cure. His vocals can be heard on "Spiders, Crocodiles and Kryptonite", a song that took several listens to grow on me. Yeah, there is no "Insomnia" or "God is a DJ" type of track on this album but I felt the album as a whole was rock solid and sounded like the Faithless I knew and love back in the late '90s. I am glad I decided to listen to it despite my reluctance due to the fact that the previous album No Roots wasn't remotely good at all.

With Satanik Germanik set to release next month, this week I decided to give Hanzel und Gretyl's Born to Be Heiled another chance. When it first came out, I wasn't at all thrilled with the album. I felt the band kinda got lost in their sound and didn't know which direction they wanted to go in. And then there was those horrible songs "I'm Moving to Deutschland" and "Ironstar Outlaws". Fast forward to 2018, I still hate those two songs but the rest of the album I thought was better than I thought. My favorite track is easily "Unterstutzung 87". "SS Deathstar Supergalatik" and "Fukken Uber Death Party", "Unterstutzung 87" is heavy AF but super damn infectious with melodies that will get stuck in one's head.

Albums:
























Playlists








Where to buy some of the albums mentioned on tonight's blog post:
https://aquorecords.bandcamp.com/album/venus
https://skyqode.bandcamp.com/album/awakening
https://strvngersngp.bandcamp.com/album/amor-noir
https://venusinaries.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-veil
https://autumn-us.bandcamp.com/album/chandelier-2
https://thefauns.bandcamp.com/album/the-fauns

Comments

Popular Posts