My current favorite songs of the week

Happy Friday! This past week was a short work week because I took Monday off (to sleep in from the VNV Nation show) and Thursday off (for a medical appointment). This week my playlist is shorter than usual. This week's playlist consists of mostly new songs.

I have been really enjoying the hell out of Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae all this week. That album has been getting a lot of playtime all this week. I strongly recommend watching her short film Emotion Picture that accompanies the album. I love Janelle's imagination. She should do an eight episode sci-fi series on Netflix based on this short film. That would be rad. My current two favorite tracks from her new album is "Make Me Feel" and "Crazy Classic Life". "Make Me Feel" is my personal fave of the two because it reminds me so much of "Kiss" by Prince.

Of course after the excellent VNV Nation show I went to last weekend, I had to add some tracks by Holygram and VNV Nation. Noire  still isn't my favorite VNV Nation album but it is a solid, good VNV Nation, unfortunately nothing about that album stands out for me. I do love that VNV closed out the show with the song "All Our Sins". Hearing the song live sent chills down my spine. That was a great way to close out the show that night.

I have neglected Helalyn Flowers' excellent album Nyctophilia for the past few months because of the new music I have been overwhelmed with. Their 2016 album Sonic Foundation really didn't do much for me. I just found it to be only an okay album. On the new album, there is a lot more energy and better melodies. Current favorite song: "Kamikaze Angel".

Songs to check out:
"Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monae
"A Faction" by Holygram
"End of Days" by Mental Discipline (feat. Namnamubulu)
"Lara's Song" by The Lonely Soul Experience
"Hvernig kemst eg upp?" by Kaelan Mikla
"The Maiden's Child" by Autumn

Comments

Popular Posts