My favorite local albums of 2018

2018 has been a solid year in the local music scene. Autumn (US band) finally released their long awaited third album Chandelier. It was so well worth the wait.  It definitely is my favorite local release of 2018. The only album that came close to knocking it out of the top spot was the second album by Promidal Magnum Tenebrosum. It is a sonic masterpiece. Killer mix of industrial and metal. The music is heavy and aggressive yet it definitely has great memorable hooks through out the album.

For the first time, I have included some hip hop music on one of my best of lists. I have been listening to a lot more hip hop music lately, not the mainstream garbage. I have been listening to a lot of the local hip hop music from the likes of Atmosphere, Maria Isa, and The Lioness. Of the three artists I just mentioned, I think Atmosphere released the strongest album but I do dig Sasa and Greater Vision a lot. I did get to see The Lioness perform live this past summer when she opened up for Psalm One at 7th St Entry. She was great.

The more I listen to Dessa's solo work, the more I think her work is more pop with just a hint of hip hop thrown into the mix. Her latest album Chime is short yet sweet.

Astronomique finally released their first full length album and it was really worth the wait.

Tiny Deaths may now live out on the west coast but for me TD will always be local. The new album Magic is fantastic. I have yet to hear a Tiny Deaths album or EP that  wasn't good.




















Comments

Popular Posts