My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! Here is this week's playlist of my current favorite songs . This week has definitely been a very interesting week music-wise for me. The music I have been listening to all week has been all over the week between post-punk/darkwave, synthpop, hip hop, folk, and pop music so this week's playlist is a bit longer than usual. I actually got quite a few local acts on this week's playlist too. So much good music to share with the world.

This week the music video for "The Fall" by Autumn was uploaded on to youtube. I have included the video for it underneath the video for "Bienvendix" by Mare Advertencia Lirika. That was the first single from Chandelier (released back in late March of this year, the single itself came out last year). Great song and video by my favorite band!

The last couple of days I have been binge listening to a lot of Latin American hip hop music which was inspired after discovering Oaxacan rap star Mare Advertencia Lirika in a NYT article from last October (which I mentioned in last night's blog post). After listening to Mare's music, I dug around and found some equally talented female rap artists from Latin America like Rebeca Lane and Ana Tijoux. I have a clip of Mare's music posted under my playlist, and a track from Rebeca and Ana on my playlist. Please give their music a listen. They are incredible. I think they could give some of women in the hip hop game here in the US a serious run for their money.

For very long time, I was a massive music snob and hated hip hop music. As I have gotten older, that attitude has definitely waned however I still find a good chunk of hip hop to be utter rubbish (i.e SoundCloud rap, Cardi B, and Kanye West). Thank heavens the Twin Cities has a healthy, vibrant hip hop scene. Atmostphere has a new album out called Mi Vida Local. I think it is quite good. This year also saw new album releases by Dessa (Chime) and Maria Isa (Sasa). I have included tracks by all three on this week's playlist. My fave though is Dessa's Chime.

Got a bunch of synthpop music featured on this week's playlist. I have been trying to re-listen to the albums released this year in the genre. I must say some of what I am hearing has not aged well. A lot of it sounds monotonous. For me, Ashbury Heights, Nordika and Mental Discipline put out the strongest works.

This week it was announced that The Foreign Resort will be touring the US next year. With them is the darkwave act from Chicago Panic Priest. I was able to listen to the self-titled album Panic Priest once and I really liked what I had heard. I have included "Sideways" on this week's playlist.  Can hardly wait to see both acts live in April.

After the Grammy nominations came out almost a week ago, I been listening to a quite a bit of Brandi Carlile who got a nod for By the Way, I Forgive You which is a great album. I have track from that album "Whatever You Do" which I absolutely adore, and "Beginning to Fell the Years" from The Firewatcher's Daughter. I particularly love her acoustic ballads which these two songs are.

Songs to check out:
"The Fall" by Autumn
"Confusion" by Maria Isa
"Eastern Sky" by Birds of Chicago
"Beginning to Feel the Years" by Brandi Carlile
"Sideways" by Panic Priest
"Americans" by Janelle Monae
"Ciudad de Colo" by Rebeca Lane
"Bienvendix" by Mare Advertencia Lirika
"Antipatriarca" by Ana Tijoux
"Whatever You Do" by Brandi Carlile
"Cantemos" by Rebel Diaz




Comments

Popular Posts