VNV Nation with Holygram and The Rain Within at Skyway Theatre on 12.02.18

Another concert has come and gone for me. Last night I was at the Skyway Theatre in downtown Minneapolis to see VNV Nation with the German post-punk band Holygram and the one man synthwave act The Rain Within. I definitely got some great photos and some clips from the show.

This was my first time seeing both The Rain Within (Bella Morte's Andy Deane) and Holygram (I think this was their first trip to the US) live. Last night was my sixth time seeing VNV Nation live. Considering the snow storm from Saturday, I was a bit concerned about the condition of the roads for the bands but my worries went unfounded. The Rain Within opened up last night's show and I now hate myself for missing Andy's show back in November. I really dug hearing Andy's music live. His performance was anything but boring with the occasional laser show during his short set. Considering I dropped $100 for next year's Massive Attack show, it was probably best that I didn't go.

Holygram was next. They played pretty much the majority of their debut album Modern Cults (which I picked up while at the show last night for $10). I discovered the band on YouTube after checking out some Principe Valiente music (another favorite postpunk band I had discovered). I had been looking forward to seeing Holygram live the most because I just adore the album Modern Cults. I was not let down. The band put on a blistering live set of raw, energetic post-punk ala Joy Division. The VNV tour ends like on the 15th, I so recommend going to the show just to see Holygram live and to snag their album.

Finally VNV Nation closed out the show with a two hour set of old and new songs. I loved that the band played a mix of old and new music. I will say that "Immersed" (from Noire) and "Control" (from Automatic) will always be my least favorite VNV Nation songs. Sorry not sorry for saying that I find these songs annoying because I THINK they are totally devoid of any melodies. The energy is there but the songs so lacks the melodies of say "Standing" or "Time and Space". I was absolutely thrilled that my favorite track "Saviour" was performed. The vocal version can be heard on youtube and Spotify on the Burning Empires EP. After six times of seeing VNV Nation live, I have never experienced a disappointing performance from Ronan and company. Ronan is one of the few artists I have seen that engages in onstage banter with his fans. I'm sorry I wasn't able to see VNV Nation last summer when they toured with iVardensphere for those intimate shows  and see how Ronan had to deal with the small stage at 7th St Entry. He definitely had the room at the Skyway Theatre to move all over the stage. Call me weird, but I am glad he didn't perform "Beloved" last night like he has in the past. I love the song but I think it needed to be given a break from as a show closer. "Standing" is a much better song IMO. I loved that he ended the night with the electrifying track "All Our Sins" from the new album Noire.  That was a fantastic way to end the evening.
















Where to buy their music:
https://vnvnation.bandcamp.com/
https://therainwithinngp.bandcamp.com/
https://holygram.bandcamp.com/

Comments

Popular Posts