The best of 2018: My favorite songs

It took me awhile to finalize my playlist of songs I thought were the cat's meow for this year. I definitely spent a good chunk of 2018 listening to a lot of darkwave/post-punk after I created My Post-Punk Playlist (I apologize for the totally unoriginal title for my playlist). IMO I was not impressed with the majority of synthpop that came out this year (and this includes NoireCitybeats, and You Win, Who Cares? just to name a few) because the music sounded the same and/or lacked much energy. That said, I have included  a few synthpop tracks from albums that really stood out with me like AshesThe Victorian Wallflowers, and Future Tense).

I also have been branching out and listening to more mainstream music like Janelle Monae who put out the brilliant Dirty Computer , local hip hop sounds of Atmosphere and Maria Isa (both from the Twin Cities), Latin hip hop from the likes of Rebel Diaz and Rebeca Lane,  the Americana sounds of Birds of Chicago and Brandi Carlile, and the classical/pop duo 2Cellos. I am not giving up on the dark underground sounds that I love but sometimes it is good to broaden one's horizons and listen to other types of music.

Songs to check out:
"Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monae
"Whatever You Do" by Brandi Carlile
"Cantemos" by Rebel Diaz (featuring Pedro Mo, Mare Advertencia Lirika, El Individuo, Luanko, Cruz Kontrol, Malena D'Alessio)
"Damage" by Autumn
"Old Leaves Shiver" by Laura Carbone
"Shadows" by Twin Tribes
"Believe in Love" by Train to Spain
"Virgo" by Atmosphere
"Confusion" by Maria Isa

Comments

Popular Posts