My current favorite songs of the week

Another work week has come and gone. Got a lot of new songs on this week's playlist as well as a few oldie but goodies.

 I had to throw in some oldies like "Heaven's Gate" by Toni Childs, one of my favorite songs from the '90s. There is no other artist I can really compare with Toni Childs. Toni has such a unique voice. Once upon a time Cities '97 was my go to source to discover new music. That is how I learned about Loreena McKennitt, Sarah, McLachlan, and Toni Childs. Now the station is just commercialized garbage. Damn shame.

Another oldie but goodie I had to throw in is "La Isla Bonita" by Madonna. Still my favorite Madonna song from my childhood.

I have been in a fairly bad mood this week (one reason being PMS) so one of the few things I do to cheer myself up has been listening to Autumn's music. Of all the albums I listen to, I keep going back to The Hating Tree. It is the most played album in my collection. It is really hard for me to pick a favorite song off that album since I listen to it almost every day. I think if I had a current favorite song from the album it has to be "How It Came to be This Way". Between Julie Plante's powerful vocals and her confrontational lyrics, I can relate to that song on so many levels that it has a profound effect on me considering the amount of bullshit I have been dealing with for the past several weeks.

Just re-discovered the sounds of Cesium 137 just the other day. I definitely have forgotten how good their music is. Judging by their Facebook page, Cesium 137 is currently working on some new music so that is a very good sign.

I really wanted to like the latest De/Vision album but I find it rather middle of the road. It isn't bad but it isn't really interesting. I find myself kinda bored with synthpop at the moment. I love NamNamBulu. Their music can hold my attention for long periods of time but De/Vision? Eh. My favorite track on the 13 is the last track  "The Firing Line". I think that is the one song on the album that the best melodies.

Since booking hotel room at Central Loop Hotel in Chicago for the Nightwish show in March, I have been listening to my Nightwish playlist a lot. As much as I love Tarja, I love Floor's version of "Ever Dream" on their live album Showtime, Storytime from 2013 (as well as "Amaranthe").  Floor has such a huge presence on this track. The live album immediately convinced me she was a perfect fit for the band after the departure of Anette Olzon.

This week I listened to the new albums by 3Teeth, Marnie (from Ladytron), Slowdive, Hydrah, Tashaki Miyaki (that is the name of the band, it is not a solo artist), and The Birthday Massacre. The new TBM, Hydrah, and Tashaki Miyaki albums have been getting a lot of my attention this week at work. I only listened to the new 3Teeth album once but I do like what I have heard so far. Really loving the title track to Under the Spell. It is my current favorite song from the new  TBM album.

It has been a long time since I listened to Bat For Lashes' The Bride. I was quickly reminded how good the album is especially the first track "I Do". What a gorgeous track. The album itself was one of my favorite releases from 2016. That was a really great year for music.

Comments

Popular Posts