My current favorite songs of the week

Happy Friday! I had taken the day off so my weekend had already begun as I left work yesterday. I enjoyed a nice stress-free day off from work today.

I recently started putting together a post-punk playlist a couple of days ago on my Spotify account and used both Spotify and the website Post-Punk.com as my source of inspiration.  A lot of the songs on this playlist is from my research on looking for some post-punk tracks for my playlist. I was inspired after listening to some Holygram (who will be opening up for VNV Nation on their upcoming tour) and Principe Valiente (a band I discovered on youtube after listening to a Holygram song). I have been really enjoying the post-punk sound right now. The music doesn't have the same effect that a lot of music does nowadays which can often put me in a bad/depressed mood as I continue to process the grief of having lost my father last summer and learning to cope with his passing. I just love the gloominess of the music. It somehow has a positive effect on me. I have also discovered some great new bands like Saigon Blue Rain and Principe Valiente.  I like to go on record and say this whole process/journey of grieving sucks so much, it sucks the life out of me at times. I have listed my favorite tracks on the list of songs to check out. I am especially fond of the VV and The Void, Holygram,and Principe Valiente tracks.

For the first time in a long time I listened to some VNV Nation (Empires in particular). For a long time I could not listen to certain futurepop bands and VNV Nation was one of the few band because their lyrics would make me feel even more depressed. I still find it a bit difficult to listen to VNV Nations because the lyrics hit so close to home with me but I did get through Empires. I almost forgot how beautiful the song "Kingdom" is but it does almost bring tears to my eyes every time I listen to it.

Lykke Li has a new album out called So Sad So Sexy. I think that album needs some more time to grow on me. I am not really feeling it at the moment but I do love the song "Utopia".

If you haven't heard of Mercury's Antennae before, I really recommend checking out their music right away. My current favorite song by the band is "Beneath the Serene". I think it is about 7 minutes long but it is a gorgeous track. I have been listening to it a lot. Certainly one of the few songs that brightens my mood. If you like Lycia, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, and Love Spirals Downwards, I certainly recommend listening to this band's music.

Local synthpop band Astronomique has recently released a new full length album called Sharp Divide. I have only listened to it twice but I do like what I have heard. The title track is my current favorite song off the album. I am glad the band has finally released a full length album as oppose to an EP like they have in the past. Had their CD release party not coincided with the Adoration Destroyed show last weekend, I would have so gone to that show at 7th St Entry. I have been a fan of the band for some time now. Please check out their music.

Of course I have thrown in some tracks by Autumn with their CD release party being tomorrow night. Super excited about that show. I also have included faves by FIRES, Chvrches, and White Lies.

Songs to check out:
"Hideaway" by Holygram
"Utopia" by Lykke Li
"Sharp Divide" by Astronomique
"Tangerine Tree" by Laura Carbone
"The Fighting" by Principe Valiente
"God Machine" by VV and The Void
"Borealis" by Saigon Blue rain

Comments

Popular Posts