Album of the Week

This past weekend, I went to see the film Creed 2. I enjoyed the first Creed film quite a bit, not to mention have become a big a fan of Tessa Thompson since her role as Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok (one of my favorite Marvel films). Anyways, I totally enjoyed the sequel. I was a bit worried about it since Ryan Coogler wasn't directing it and in his place was Steven Caple Jr. In the end my worries went unfounded. Steven did a fantastic job (and Ryan was listed as one of the film's producers so some of his influence is still felt in the film).

As much as I enjoyed the movie Venom, I just did not enjoy Ludwig Goransson's score for the film. It just sounded like your standard film score. Quite dull IMO. While watching Creed 2, I was really surprised to find myself enjoying the music and even more surprised to see it was Ludwig who created the music. Asides from the tracks from Tessa Thompson (which I enjoyed immensely especially "I Will Go to War" that scene alone of her singing that song was amazing), and the other tracks featuring Jacob Banks, A$AP Rocky, and Vince Staples contributing to vocals), the score itself reminded me of BT's work for the film Monster. Since Creed 2 is a film with more substance storywise, I think more care was put into the music which to me help elevate the film and made certain scenes more emotional on a personal level. Ludwig does a great job making sure each track was tailor made for the scene it is incorporated in. Great film, great soundtrack.

Comments

Popular Posts