My current favorite songs of the week

Happy weekend! One holiday down, another one to go. I don't count New Year's Eve a holiday. It seems to be a piss poor excuse to get bloody drunk which I avoid going out like it was the plague.

Most of the songs featured on this week's playlist are from 2018 but I have included some older tracks. One of my favorite older songs is "All My Lovers" by Autumn off their second album Return to the Breath which was the first Autumn I bought many, many  moons ago (after I had seen them live in 2009 when they briefly reunited for the Faith and The Muse show). I have been listening to my Autumn playlist that I recreated last week (with just my favorite songs from each of their three albums) quite a bit lately and "All My Lovers" has been my go to jam at the moment. I have also included tracks from The Hating Tree and Chandelier too ;).

I have some interesting new music on this week's playlist. I have been listening to a lot of world music by the sounds Oceania, Corde Oblique, Azam Ali, and Niyaz (Azam Ali's band). I am particularly glad to have bought another copy of the self-titled album by Oceania. I used to own a copy but ended up selling it years ago. I completely forgot how good Maori music sounds. I have also been listening to a lot of Azam Ali and her band Niyaz quite a bit this week. Her music is very soothing and hypnotic to listen to. I really regret not going to her show when she was in town a year or two ago. Big old mistake for me. Oh well, making that up with the Massive Attack show next year.

In City Pages' annual Winter Guide issue, I came across Chicago rapper Noname (who has an upcoming gig at First Avenue in January which is mentioned in the issue), curiosity got to me and I decided to check out her music. Rap music is a hit or miss with me however I am not one to rule the genre out completely. I just like to some substance to my music unlike the nonsense by Cardi B and every single soundcloud rapper. Her music is quite interesting and definitely a far cry from the auto-tuned sounds of rap music nowadays which is annoying AF to me. Her personal, intimate lyrics flows like poetry. My favorite track is "Self" which is on this week's playlist.

Cindergarden finally released its new Leonard Cohen tribute album. I love it! I especially love their cover of "Hallelujah".

Not long ago it was announced that The Rain Within will be replacing De/Vision on VNV Nation's current US tour, I have been listening a lot to their music. For the most part, I really dig their sound but after awhile the music does starts to sound the same but I can say that about synthwave in general. I like synthwave but in small doses before I get bored with the music. Nevertheless I am looking forward to seeing The Rain Within live next month.

With November winding down, I now have to start thinking about my annual best of list. This is going to be a tough process because I have heard some incredible music through out 2018 from Ashbury Heights to Solitary Experiments. There were some duds but for the most part 2018 has been a fantastic year in music.

Songs to check out:
"Gandreio" by Kaelan Mikla
"Still There" by Holygram
"Sabza Ba Naz" by Niyaz
"Melody of the North winds" by Indarra
"Arpe di vento" by Corde Oblique
"Every Time" by Solitary Experiments
"Kotahitanga (Union)" by Oceania
"There's a Honey" by Pale Waves
"All My Lovers" by Autumn
"Iron Age" by Blume



Where to buy music:
https://nonameraps.bandcamp.com/album/room-25
https://autumn-us.bandcamp.com/album/return-to-the-breath
https://elefantrecords.bandcamp.com/album/filter
https://holygram.bandcamp.com/album/modern-cults
https://indarra.bandcamp.com/album/walk-on-fire
https://kaelanmikla.bandcamp.com/album/n-tt-eftir-n-tt
https://lookingglassrecords.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-end-of-love-a-leonard-cohen-tribute-album

Comments

Popular Posts