Playlist of the week

Over the weekend, I made a couple of new playlists. Actually the playlists were do overs. Awhile back I had deleted my Autumn playlist and this weekend I decided to start over on my best of 2018 (so far) playlist. I decided to go with my Best of 2018 (so far) for this week's playlist of the week.

It is really interesting how over time my taste in music has changed this year. For a long time,  "At Summer's End" by Autumn was my favorite song off their excellent third album Chandelier but as the year is starting to wind down, "Damage" has taken over as my favorite song off the album. I still love "At Summer's End" quite a bit.

While I love "Crash and Burn" by Solitary Experiments, their ballad "Shelter" is easily my favorite song off their new album Future Tense. It is a beautiful ballad. Just love their lyrics.

One of my favorite albums is Indarra's Walk On Fire. The album came out over a week ago and I have been listening to it religiously since its digital release (physical release is this Friday, if you pre-ordered it, it should arrive any day now. I got mine today in the mail). If you don't know who Indarra is, it is Sue Hutton's (of Rhea's Obsession) new musical project. The album is absolutely quite enchanting. My personal favorite track is "An Innis Aigh". It has such hypnotizing effect on me whenever I listen to that particular track.

I am so looking forward to the debut album by All Hail the Silence. I just absolutely adore the song "Diamonds in the Snow". It is one of my favorite synthpop songs released this year. It is definitely in my top 5 favorite synthpop songs. Just love the analogue production on the track.

2018 has been the year in darkwave/post punk music for me. Asides from Autumn, ACTORS, Kaelan Mikla, Holygram, The Bellwether Syndicate, and Piroshka (featuring ex-Lush vocalist/guitarist Miki Berenyi) have released some solid new music. I am particularly a big fan of Kaelan Mikla and Holygram. Both bands recently dropped new albums and the music has been getting lots of airtime with me at work and at home.  I am eager to hear The Bellwether Syndicate's follow up to The Night Watch Ep and Piroshka's debut album sometime in the new year.

2018 also has been a great year for synthpop although my interest  has been waning over the years. I was really disappointed in the new !distain album. The only song I liked was "Maid of Freedom". Love the new albums by Psy'Aviah, Ashbury Heights, Blume, Kirlian Camera, and MNYNMS. The new VNV Nation is good but I don't think it is the best VNV Nation album to date. I am though looking forward to hearing the new songs live.

Have some odds and ends in the mix too from Hanzel und Gretyl, Birds of Chicago, 2Cellos, and Dessa.

Songs to check out:
"Nornalagio" by Kaelan Mikla
"Damage" by Autumn
"Republik" by The Bellwether Syndicate
"We Don't Have to Dance" by ACTORS
"1997" by Holygram
"An Innis Aigh" by Indarra
"Diamonds in the Snow" by All Hail the Silence

Comments

Popular Posts