My current favorite songs

TGIF! My three day weekend has officially begun. I took Monday off to sleep in since I am going to be at Sunday's VNV Nation show. To be honest, I am more interested in seeing Holygram and The Rain Within. Still bummed out that I missed VNV Nation's show last year and seeing Mark Jackson perform live in VNV Nation for the last time but I had my father's memorial service to attend to the next day. It will be good to see VNV  live again. They always put on a great live show. Anyhoo, here is this week's playlist.

This week has been an interesting week for music. I have particularly been listening a lot to the new Janelle Monae album Dirty Computer and the soundtrack to Creed II. I started listening to Janelle's album since she is supposedly in a relationship with Creed II star Tessa Thompson. Dirty Computer is terrific electropop album. Love the quirky lyrics and funky dance beats. I might make a trip to my local record store and pick up a CD copy of the album.

Throughout this week I had been listening to quite a bit of hip hop music for my  hip hop  playlist. I hate saying this but I will never understand the appeal of Prof's music. I felt like my IQ dropped several points. That is some stupid ass shit I ever heard. Gawd! How old are we?! Such juvenile lyrics. That said, love the hip hop tracks on the Creed II soundtrack. I also enjoyed  the new Brother Ali album All The Beauty In This Whole Life  and Cut the Body Loose by Astronautalis. Threw in a couple of old faves of mine "Mineshaft II" by Dessa off her debut album A Badly Broken Code and "On Fire" by Angel Haze from her album Back to the Woods.

Of course not all of this week's playlist is hip hop music. I got some post-punk/darkwave, synthpop, and everything in between.

Songs to check out:
"Own Light (What Hearts are For)" by Brother Ali
"On Fire" by Angel Haze
"Today I Decided" by Snow Tha Product
"Mineshaft II" by Dessa
"Crimson Wave" by Strap On Halo
"Shadow Girl 2" by Autumn
"This Wheel's On Fire" by Siouxsie and The Banshees

Comments

Popular Posts