Albums I have overlooked in 2017

I thought I would do something different for tonight's blog entry. I thought I would post some albums that I have overlooked or neglected in 2017. These are really great albums.

I don't know why I never listened to Chastity Brown's music, probably because I tend to listen to synth-driven music and that is not what her music sounds like. I got her album through the library and much to my surprise I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. I was reminded a bit of Ani Difranco and Brandi Carlile. Her music is probably not for everyone who follows my blog regularly but I do think Silhouette of Sirens deserves a mentionhere.

I really regret not listening to more of We the North's Unhealing album and Sally Dige's Holding On. Both albums definitely would have ended up on my best of 2017 list had I listened to it more often but sadly they got neglected because of all the other music that came out that year.  I discovered We the North and Sally Dige on one of my favorite websites Post-Punk which has quickly become a favorites source for music for me to checkout.

This week I just started listening to Cindy Wilson's debut album Change. I didn't realize the album was already out until I looked it up on Spotify after seeing countless ads on FB for her upcoming show at The Turf Club (which I would go but I can't because it is simply too close to my weekend trip to Chicago). It is a great electronica/synth album. The music is a far cry from the B-52s (which I will confess to not being a fan of). I will let this album review at Northern Transmissions speak for the music itself. I really do like how layered the music is and Cyndi's delicate vocals.

I have totally neglected the latest albums by The Frozen Autumn and Sixth June. I so feel bad about it but I'm trying to make up for it by giving them each a shout out here tonight.  Both bands put out some killer coldwave music. Between the two albums The Fellow Traveler and Virgo Rising, I personally think Virgo Rising is a stronger effort. The melodies to me were far more memorable.

Finally the latest Cindergarden album Architectures of Becoming  and  Fatima Al Qadiri's Shaneera. Solid albums although one is a lengthly listen and the other is completely foreign and aimed for a particular audience that isn't western,let alone white and Christian. Shaneera is a dance/techno album with vocals sung in arabic so it might not be for everyone. And Architectures of Becoming is not exactly a short album. It is 20 tracks long. The music is very enjoyable. Good mix of industrial, post-darkwave, and electronic music.

Albums I strongly recommend checking out:
Cindy Wilson: Change
We the North: Unhealing
Sixth June: Virgo Rising
Sally Dige: Holding On















Comments

Popular Posts