Playlist of the week

I was going to post my thoughts on the new Autumn album Chandelier but I ended up with a headache when I left work this afternoon so I decided to push it back at least another day. Hopefully work tomorrow won't be so tedious and sometimes frustrating which led to a headache but it is the end of the month for my department meaning lots of stress. Also I really want to put more care into my review of the band's new album than what I usually put into my album reviews. That is how good the album is.

Anyways, while at work I got the idea to create a playlist of some of my favorite songs I have heard so far in 2018. Of course I had to put one of the songs off Chandelier. Picking one of the songs from the album for this playlist is difficult (between "At Summer's End" and "Just Before the Storm") but ultimately I opted for "At Summer's End". I have been listening to the song all day long at work. I can so relate to the lyrics "I will never be whole again. I will go home again. I will never know home again. It's Just my sweet misfortune" so damn much after the crapfest of a summer I had. It is how I have been feeling for the past several months from the loss and trauma I have experienced.  And Julie's soaring vocals is absolutely amazing. After over 15 years since Return to the Breath, time have been very generous to Julie and her voice. IMO I think she sounds even better today than 20 years ago when The Hating Tree first came out. I could listen to her sing all day long. Then again I spent all morning listening to all three Autumn albums at work today just to hear the progression of the band and their music (more on that when I review Chandelier).

I am not that big of a fan of harsh ebm as I once was a couple of years ago but I have been enjoying the debut album Arcanum by Bornless Fire. Bornless Fire is the new industrial/EBM project by Kristof Bathory of Dawn of Ashes fame.  Not a Dawn of Ashes fan but I dig Kristof's work with Bornless Fire. My personal favorite track is "Feel the Rage". It reminds me very much of Suicide Commando and Unter Null. Probably the catchiest song on Arcanum.

I didn't think anyone would create a song about my least favorite day of the week but leave it to Junksista to do it with their dry, sarcastic, and often provocative humor with their song "Monday".  I always have to listen to this song on Monday mornings before work.

Still enjoying the hell out of Dessa's latest album Chime. "Half of You" is one of my favorite songs off the album. I like the infectious beat and pop hooks. I wish I hadn't slept on tickets for her First Avenue show in April but I do plan on getting a ticket for her show at Orchestra Hall later this year, tickets goes on sale in June.

One of my current favorite songs at the moment is from the second disc of Lightflare by Psy'Aviah (the deluxe edition) is "Earth, Wind, Fire, Air, and Sky" which features Om Namaha Shivaya on the song. I like the new age vibe of the track.

I have to admit I didn't take to Ladytron's new single "The Animals" but after a several listens, the song has grown on me quite considerably.

Songs to check out:
"At Summer's End" by Autumn
"Monday" by Junksista
"Feel the Rage" by Bornless Fire
"Half of You" by Dessa
"Earth, Wind, Fire, Air, and Sky" by Psy'Aviah
"The Animals" by Ladytron

Comments

Popular Posts