Album of the week: Twin by Helix

Helix is a new project between Tom Shear of  Assemblage 23  fame and Mari Kattman. I had been eagerly anticipating for this new release when I first heard about it earlier this summer.  It was definitely worth the wait. I first became familiar with Mari Kattman with her collaborations Yves Schelpe of Psy'Aviah . The tracks she sang on the last few Psy'Aviah releases have been incredible. Mari also has released two solo albums apart from working with Yves.

Twin is not a far stretch from the music Mari has put out on her two solo albums Hover and Stay Up with  elements of trip hop through out the album. I can  certainly hear a little bit of A23 seep into the music like on "Like a Drug" and "I Might Be Wrong" but in subtle ways. I admit when I first heard of the news that Tom and Mari were working together, I assumed the music would be more like A23 but then I heard previews of the music and I was wrong (in a good way) when I heard the music was more in the vein of the trip hop sound Mari is known for her on her two solo albums.  I enjoy listening to this album. It is perfect for this gray, rainy evening. Hopefully, this is not a one album project.

My favorite songs:
"Anymore"
 "Bird of Prey"
"Like a Drug"
"The Beautiful Unseen"

Comments

Popular Posts