Albums and Playlists I am currently listening to

It has been a very synthpop  heavy week for me. I am particularly digging the sounds of !distain. I started listening to them a week ago when I saw they had a new EP out featuring remixes of their song "SynthPopBoy". I was hooked right away. I have only had a chance to listen to the new Solar Fake and Panic Lift albums once (because I was preoccupied with the new Ashbury Heights and Sleepthief albums) but I will try to listen to them while I am chilling in my hotel room over the weekend or at the airport waiting for one of my flights. I did like what I had heard from initial listens.

Valerie Renay's solo album just came out today. I definitely plan on writing more on it but I really liked what I heard. The music is darker and more unrestrained than her work in Noblesse Oblige. Certainly worth checking out for sure.

Because I getting all amped up for the new Tiny Deaths album set to be released later this month, I had to listen to her most recent album of electropop/synthpop Elegies. I have been a fan of the duo of Claire de Lune and Grant Cutler (formerly of Lookbook fame) since 2014 when Tiny Deaths came out. Last time I saw Tiny Deaths perform live was in 2016 when they opened up for Sleigh Bells. Also got into listening to some other local music this week by Aby Wolf and Autumn. It has been awhile since I have listened to Aby Wolf's Call to the Rocks and Autumn's The Hating Tree. I have been neglecting those albums. My bad.

I definitely have neglected Laura Carbone's Empty Sea. That is such a great album of post-punk tracks. I was listening to it the other day and realized that I had not given this album the attention it deserves. The music is raw, energetic, and noisy AF especially on "Cellopohane Skin". I also like it when she dials it down a bit like on the title track with its noir-pop vibe. "Old Leaves Shiver" is another favorite track of mine that slows down a bit. I have listened to her first album Sirens a couple of times but I found myself listening and enjoying the new album more than its predecessor.

Another great post-punk album that came out this year is VV and The Void's The Upper Room. I discovered them while I created my post-punk playlist earlier this summer. That is a really great discovery. The music is noisy AF but yet melodic. "God Machine" is one of my favorite songs of 2018. That is another album I have neglected for a bit of time this summer.



























Playlists:








Comments

Popular Posts